comp.programming

Problems in Gusfield

Paul

1/21/2016 5:50:00 PM

Is there anyone here who can answer (by which I mean respond to) questions about Gusfield (Algorithms on Strings, Trees, and Sequences)?

I thought it would be best to see if anyone was available for that before launching into the point that confuses me.

Thanks,

Paul
5 Answers

Richard Heathfield

On 21/01/16 17:50, Paul wrote:
> Is there anyone here who can answer (by which I mean respond to) questions about Gusfield (Algorithms on Strings, Trees, and Sequences)?

It may well be that there are people here who have read and understood
Gusfield. It is, however, perhaps more likely that there are more people
here who can answer questions about algorithms, strings, and sequences
than there are who can answer questions about "Algorithms, Strings, and
Sequences"! ;-)

Best bet: ask the question. If it refers to a specific part of the book,
however, don't assume that people have the book. Explain the problem as
best you can, and see what happens.

In general, on Usenet I find it best to work on the principle that is
employed every day by every cat on the planet: it never hurts to ask.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Ben Bacarisse

Paul <pepstein5@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there anyone here who can answer (by which I mean respond to)
> questions about Gusfield (Algorithms on Strings, Trees, and
> Sequences)?

At over £100 not many people will have that on their shelves, but the
published gives a table of contents I don't think there's much of the
algorithms part that would not be topical and likely to get some
response here. The more detailed bioinformatics bits -- not so much.

Just remember to give enough context so people not living above a good
library will know what you are referring to.

<snip>
--
Ben.

Paul

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 7:25:56 PM UTC, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> Paul <pepstein5@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is there anyone here who can answer (by which I mean respond to)
> > questions about Gusfield (Algorithms on Strings, Trees, and
> > Sequences)?
>
> At over L100 not many people will have that on their shelves, but the
> published gives a table of contents I don't think there's much of the
> algorithms part that would not be topical and likely to get some
> response here. The more detailed bioinformatics bits -- not so much.
>
> Just remember to give enough context so people not living above a good
> library will know what you are referring to.

Thanks. I've solved the issue now.

Paul

Paul

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 6:00:48 PM UTC, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 21/01/16 17:50, Paul wrote:
> > Is there anyone here who can answer (by which I mean respond to) questions about Gusfield (Algorithms on Strings, Trees, and Sequences)?
>
> It may well be that there are people here who have read and understood
> Gusfield. It is, however, perhaps more likely that there are more people
> here who can answer questions about algorithms, strings, and sequences
> than there are who can answer questions about "Algorithms, Strings, and
> Sequences"! ;-)
>
> Best bet: ask the question. If it refers to a specific part of the book,
> however, don't assume that people have the book. Explain the problem as
> best you can, and see what happens.
>
> In general, on Usenet I find it best to work on the principle that is
> employed every day by every cat on the planet: it never hurts to ask.
>
> --
> Richard Heathfield
> Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
> Sig line 4 vacant - apply within

Thanks. I don't get what you mean by "Sig line 4 vacant - apply within" I therefore Googled the quote and (of course) only got repetitions of the same phrase. Please can you let me know what this mystery phrase means?

Paul

Öö Tiib

On Saturday, 23 January 2016 13:13:30 UTC+2, Paul wrote:
> On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 6:00:48 PM UTC, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> > On 21/01/16 17:50, Paul wrote:
> > > Is there anyone here who can answer (by which I mean respond to) questions about Gusfield (Algorithms on Strings, Trees, and Sequences)?
> >
> > It may well be that there are people here who have read and understood
> > Gusfield. It is, however, perhaps more likely that there are more people
> > here who can answer questions about algorithms, strings, and sequences
> > than there are who can answer questions about "Algorithms, Strings, and
> > Sequences"! ;-)
> >
> > Best bet: ask the question. If it refers to a specific part of the book,
> > however, don't assume that people have the book. Explain the problem as
> > best you can, and see what happens.
> >
> > In general, on Usenet I find it best to work on the principle that is
> > employed every day by every cat on the planet: it never hurts to ask.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Heathfield
> > Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
> > "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29 July 1999
> > Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
>
> Thanks. I don't get what you mean by "Sig line 4 vacant - apply within" I therefore Googled the quote and (of course) only got repetitions of the same phrase. Please can you let me know what this mystery phrase means?

Does not look like mystery at all. "Sig line 4 vacant" is written on
fourth signature line so it likely describes that line itself. "Apply
within" is perhaps meant like "if you are interested to advertise here,
please apply within" ... enter the office, tell about that to Richard.

Mild joke, just like me now typing that following is left blank
intentionally: