comp.programming

Visual Designers Don’t Scale

Ramine

1/19/2016 4:39:00 AM

Hello,

Visual Designers Donâ??t Scale

Read more here:

http://odetocode.com/blogs/scott/archive/2008/05/19/visual-designers-dont-...

Merci,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.
6 Answers

Richard Heathfield

On 19/01/16 04:38, Ramine wrote:

> Visual Designers Donâ??t Scale

Why do you think so? (URLs don't count.)

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within

Kaz Kylheku

On 2016-01-19, Richard Heathfield <rjh@cpax.org.uk> wrote:
> On 19/01/16 04:38, Ramine wrote:
>>
>> Visual Designers Donâ??t Scale
>
> Why do you think so? (URLs don't count.)

It has been my experience that most dialog boxes of visual tools
don't scale. If they are for Windows, written by Microsoft, that is.

"Damn it, get wider, so I can see the full path! Argh ..."

Kaz Kylheku

On 2016-01-19, Kaz Kylheku <kaz@kylheku.com> wrote:
> On 2016-01-19, Richard Heathfield <rjh@cpax.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 19/01/16 04:38, Ramine wrote:
>>>
>>> Visual Designers Donâ??t Scale
>>
>> Why do you think so? (URLs don't count.)
>
> It has been my experience that most dialog boxes of visual tools
> don't scale. If they are for Windows, written by Microsoft, that is.
>
> "Damn it, get wider, so I can see the full path! Argh ..."

Wait, that's "resize", not "scale", pardon me.

Scale means resize, and the fonts and perhaps other UI elements like
buggons and icons get bigger. That's seen even less often in visual
development tools, so there is a point.

Richard Heathfield

On 19/01/16 19:10, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On 2016-01-19, Kaz Kylheku <kaz@kylheku.com> wrote:

>>> Why do you think so? (URLs don't count.)
>>
>> It has been my experience that most dialog boxes of visual tools
>> don't scale. If they are for Windows, written by Microsoft, that is.
>>
>> "Damn it, get wider, so I can see the full path! Argh ..."
>
> Wait, that's "resize", not "scale", pardon me.
>
> Scale means resize, and the fonts and perhaps other UI elements like
> buggons and icons get bigger. That's seen even less often in visual
> development tools, so there is a point.

Of course, such problems can be fixed if the motivation is there. But in
any case I'm not saying he doesn't have a point. I'm saying he hasn't
justified his point with reasoning. (I don't consider drive-by URLs to
count as reasoning.)

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within

Öö Tiib

On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 00:10:27 UTC+2, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 19/01/16 19:10, Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> >> It has been my experience that most dialog boxes of visual tools
> >> don't scale. If they are for Windows, written by Microsoft, that is.
> >>
> >> "Damn it, get wider, so I can see the full path! Argh ..."
> >
> > Wait, that's "resize", not "scale", pardon me.
> >
> > Scale means resize, and the fonts and perhaps other UI elements like
> > buggons and icons get bigger. That's seen even less often in visual
> > development tools, so there is a point.
>

> Of course, such problems can be fixed if the motivation is there. But in
> any case I'm not saying he doesn't have a point. I'm saying he hasn't
> justified his point with reasoning. (I don't consider drive-by URLs to
> count as reasoning.)

Usually he posts lot of threads that repair some typo in previous thread
when he starts to reason. Diagrams with lot of vertices and edges
are hard to understand and to work with indeed. It is not news for anyone
who has seen such thing ... so are you sure we need lot of threads about
it?

Richard Heathfield

On 20/01/16 10:23, Öö Tiib wrote:

<snip>

> Diagrams with lot of vertices and edges
> are hard to understand and to work with indeed. It is not news for anyone
> who has seen such thing ... so are you sure we need lot of threads about
> it?

I don't mind either way. If he, or anyone, wants to talk about scaling
issues in visual design tools, why not? It's not as if comp.programming
is over-burdened with traffic. But if we're going to talk about it here,
let's talk about it *here*, rather than conduct argument-by-Web-link.