comp.programming

Read this about scalability...

Ramine

11/17/2015 1:12:00 AM

Hello,

As you have noticed i have implemented a Threadpool engine
that is really cool, its interface is very easy and cool, read about it
here:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/...-with-...

But if you are an expert on parallel programming, you will notice
that i am using 3 locks that protect a very small portion of the code on
the worker threads side of the Threadpool engine, 2 locks for the pop()
side of the concurrent FIFO queue and i am using a third lock also, so
an expert on parallel programming will say that those locks that protect
a very small portion of the code are using each one around
350 CPU cycles on a x86 architecture, so this will lower the
scalability, but my answer is this: look at the fastflow
for example here: http://calvados.di...
if you need on fastflow to wait for the worker threads to
finish this will constitute the same portion of a serial
part of one lock, because a cache-line transfer is around
the same CPU cycles of a Lock, so this will constitute
a serial part of around 350 CPU cycles on x86, and this
will have the same effect as my Threadpool engine,
i think OpenMP and TBB and microsoft TPL are the same..
so this is why i think my Threadpool engine is still useful, so the idea
to scale more is to increase the P (parallel) part by doing more of the
same: Increase the volume of data processed by the P part (and therefore
the percentage p of time spent in computing) , this will permit you to
get more scalability. This is Gustafson's Law.

You can download my Threadpool engine from the following links:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/...-with-...

and from here:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/...

Thank you,