Iwuchukwu Obieze

10/31/2015 5:07:00 PM

How good is cygwin c/c++. Is it better than VS c/c++?
2 Answers

robertwessel2@yahoo.com

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 10:06:41 -0700 (PDT), Iwuchukwu Obieze
<kizob123@gmail.com> wrote:

>How good is cygwin c/c++. Is it better than VS c/c++?

Depends on your purpose. If you're porting *nix code to Windows,
Cygwin will likely be a more pleasant experience. If you're writing a
Windows app, VS will be a much more pleasant experience.

Dmitry A. Kazakov

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 10:06:41 -0700 (PDT), Iwuchukwu Obieze wrote:

> How good is cygwin c/c++.

I would use MinGW, if you more accustomed to Windows environment and tools.
The compiler is same in both, GCC.

> Is it better than VS c/c++?

It is complicated.

1. Compiler, C/C++. GCC is better.

2. Linker. MS linker is better. With GCC linker you will have issues with
building Windows-native libraries *.lib etc, but nothing impossible.

3. IDE. GCC has none.

There exists GPS, which is freely available for MinGW. GPS is IMO better
than Visual Studio IDE. I remember the Visual Studio 2003 IDE was quite
good. Since then it became worse with each new issue.

4. Debugger. GCC has none, OK, there is GDB and GPS supports GDB, but it is
shame rather than a debugger.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov