comp.programming

Capacity planning...

Ramine

10/29/2015 12:23:00 AM

Richard Heathfield have wrote about the constructor of my
scalable distributed reader-writer mutex this

>Okay, so if there isn't enough memory, either it throws an error, in
>which case the program aborts unexpectedly (I see no "catch" code
>here), or it scribbles all over memory it doesn't own.
>Neither option looks good from over here.

You have to know that to ensure a good level of security in QOS
you have to do a kind of capacity planning , since i am
using many threads, so you have to limit the memory consumption to a
certain good level of security , and you have to do it like by
calculating how much each thread does consume of memory and how much
your overall application does consume of memory, and like
in capacity planning you have to calculate that for all
your applications that are running on the server or computer
to ensure, like in realtime systems, a good level of security.
So as you have noticed this is the write way to do it.

Thank you for your time.

Amine Moulay Ramdane.
your application

4 Answers

Richard Heathfield

On 29/10/15 00:23, Ramine wrote:

> Richard Heathfield have wrote about the constructor of my
> scalable distributed reader-writer mutex this
>

> >Okay, so if there isn't enough memory, either it throws an error, in
> >which case the program aborts unexpectedly (I see no "catch" code
> >here), or it scribbles all over memory it doesn't own.
> >Neither option looks good from over here.
>

> You have to know that to ensure a good level of security in QOS
> you have to do a kind of capacity planning , since i am
> using many threads, so you have to limit the memory consumption to a
> certain good level of security , and you have to do it like by
> calculating how much each thread does consume of memory and how much
> your overall application does consume of memory, and like
> in capacity planning you have to calculate that for all
> your applications that are running on the server or computer
> to ensure, like in realtime systems, a good level of security.
> So as you have noticed this is the write way to do it.

No, that isn't what I noticed. I noticed that the program either aborts
unexpectedly or scribbles all over memory it doesn't own. It isn't clear
which of those applies, but it does seem that one or the other must happen.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Richard Heathfield

On 29/10/15 00:42, Ramine wrote:

> With the Delphi and FreePascal compilers it will throw an exception
> that is: "out of memory", don't bother about that..

Oh, but I do.

--

On 10/28/2015 2:29 PM, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 29/10/15 00:23, Ramine wrote:
>>
>> Richard Heathfield have wrote about the constructor of my
>> scalable distributed reader-writer mutex this
>>

>> >Okay, so if there isn't enough memory, either it throws an error, in
>> >which case the program aborts unexpectedly (I see no "catch" code
>> >here), or it scribbles all over memory it doesn't own.
>> >Neither option looks good from over here.
>>

>> You have to know that to ensure a good level of security in QOS
>> you have to do a kind of capacity planning , since i am
>> using many threads, so you have to limit the memory consumption to a
>> certain good level of security , and you have to do it like by
>> calculating how much each thread does consume of memory and how much
>> your overall application does consume of memory, and like
>> in capacity planning you have to calculate that for all
>> your applications that are running on the server or computer
>> to ensure, like in realtime systems, a good level of security.
>> So as you have noticed this is the write way to do it.
>
> No, that isn't what I noticed. I noticed that the program either aborts
> unexpectedly or scribbles all over memory it doesn't own. It isn't clear
> which of those applies, but it does seem that one or the other must happen.

With the Delphi and FreePascal compilers it will throw an exception
that is: "out of memory", don't bother about that..

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

Ramine

On 10/28/2015 2:43 PM, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 29/10/15 00:42, Ramine wrote:
>>
>> With the Delphi and FreePascal compilers it will throw an exception
>> that is: "out of memory", don't bother about that..
>
> Oh, but I do.

It will throw an exception of: OutOfMemory, and you can
even catch it with: Try Except block in Delphi and FreePascal compilers,
like in C++.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.