microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Installation of .NET 3.5 SP1 takes 40 minutes

G Narayanan

11/12/2008 1:20:00 AM

Installation of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 takes 40 minutes (vista/xp desktop).
Sounds like some microsoft bug on the surface. Can you please suggest a fix?

Thanks
G Narayanan
5 Answers

Mark Salsbery [MVP]

"G Narayanan" <gnayagam@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> Installation of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 takes 40 minutes (vista/xp
> desktop).

Is that including the download time?

Mark

--
Mark Salsbery
Microsoft MVP - Visual C++

> Sounds like some microsoft bug on the surface. Can you please suggest a
> fix?
>
> Thanks
> G Narayanan

G Narayanan

Initial download was only less than a second. But how do I avoid installation
itself trying to download some more stuff indirectly - can you please give me
the steps?
All I am looking for is minimal runtime environment for 3.5 SP1, where can I
get the size-optimized .NET 3.5 SP1 runtime/redistributable/compact version?

Thanks much
G. Narayanan

"Mark Salsbery [MVP]" wrote:

> "G Narayanan" <gnayagam@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> > Installation of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 takes 40 minutes (vista/xp
> > desktop).
>

> Is that including the download time?
>
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Salsbery
> Microsoft MVP - Visual C++
>

> > Sounds like some microsoft bug on the surface. Can you please suggest a
> > fix?
> >
> > Thanks
> > G Narayanan

Family Tree Mike

You have a post on the c# group where you say your app requires 3.5 sp1 to
run. You should distribute it with your app's installer. After all, you
are bundling the framework base version 3.5, right?

"G Narayanan" <gnayagam@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> Installation of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 takes 40 minutes (vista/xp
> desktop).
> Sounds like some microsoft bug on the surface. Can you please suggest a
> fix?
>
> Thanks
> G Narayanan

G Narayanan

Mike,

Can you please sketch me the full sequence I need to do in a fresh
deployment environment - assuming users (in deployment environment) might
have any previous .NET version (as low as 1.1) or no .NET at all ? I will
try this out manually and see that it gets installed in reasonable time (not
in 40 minutes but much less in time). Even if I bundle but app's installer is
going to take 40 minutes to install these .NET frameworks, it is not going to
help as 40 minutes (excluding download/upload) is not acceptable installation
time for our users.

Thanks much
G Narayanan

"Family Tree Mike" wrote:

> You have a post on the c# group where you say your app requires 3.5 sp1 to
> run. You should distribute it with your app's installer. After all, you
> are bundling the framework base version 3.5, right?
>

> "G Narayanan" <gnayagam@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> > Installation of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 takes 40 minutes (vista/xp
> > desktop).
> > Sounds like some microsoft bug on the surface. Can you please suggest a
> > fix?
> >
> > Thanks
> > G Narayanan

Family Tree Mike

Start here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k3b...
Then to deploy the 3.5 service pack, you probably will need a custom action,
so you should look at this artical:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d9k....

In your setup project, make sure you check the option to "download
prerequisites from the same location as my application." When you build a
CD, the framework will then be bundled with your MSI.