microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Unexpected errors stating everything is ambiguous

Nathan Sokalski

10/23/2008 7:59:00 PM

I recently started recieving errors like:

'LeftNavigation' is ambiguous in the namespace 'nathansokalski_com_test'.
(nathansokalski_com_test is the name of my project)

I know what ambiguous means, but I am recieving this error for every class
in my project, and I have made no changes to anything in the project other
than add one class (the project used to compile). But even if I remove the
newly added class I still recieve this error for all the classes (well,
until it gets to the error 'Maximum number of errors has been exceeded.').
Is there something that could have gotten changed in my project settings or
something that could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

3 Answers

Peter Duniho

(newsgroups trimmed...this is definitely _not_ an ASP.NET problem)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:58:32 -0700, Nathan Sokalski
<njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I recently started recieving errors like:
>
> 'LeftNavigation' is ambiguous in the namespace 'nathansokalski_com_test'.
> (nathansokalski_com_test is the name of my project)

Impossible to say without knowing every detail about your project. But,
it sounds as though your code is being included twice somehow. Look for
an extra reference to your project within the project, or some code that
got copied and pasted multiple times, that sort of thing.

Pete

kimiraikkonen

On Oct 23, 10:58 pm, "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokal...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I recently started recieving errors like:
>
> 'LeftNavigation' is ambiguous in the namespace 'nathansokalski_com_test'.
> (nathansokalski_com_test is the name of my project)
>
> I know what ambiguous means, but I am recieving this error for every class
> in my project, and I have made no changes to anything in the project other
> than add one class (the project used to compile). But even if I remove the
> newly added class I still recieve this error for all the classes (well,
> until it gets to the error 'Maximum number of errors has been exceeded.').
> Is there something that could have gotten changed in my project settings or
> something that could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokal...@hotmail.comhttp://www.nathansok...

You have posted that to three different newsgroups.

For the question, i sometimes get the same it as 'warning' especially
in C# projects with Office Interop, and as far as i remember it does
not affect the compilation however it can be corrected by resolving
the naming conflicting manually as said here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8f0...

You need to specify full path of the member including correct
namespace.

Eg: Instead of ''Dim foo As New Class'', try to use:
Dim foo As New <namespace>.Class...

HTH,

Onur Guzel

Onur Guzel

scorpion53061

On Oct 23, 3:07 pm, "Peter Duniho" <NpOeStPe...@nnowslpianmk.com>
wrote:
> (newsgroups trimmed...this is definitely _not_ an ASP.NET problem)
>
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:58:32 -0700, Nathan Sokalski
>
> <njsokal...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I recently started recieving errors like:
>
> > 'LeftNavigation' is ambiguous in the namespace 'nathansokalski_com_test'.
> > (nathansokalski_com_test is the name of my project)
>
> Impossible to say without knowing every detail about your project.  But,
> it sounds as though your code is being included twice somehow.  Look for
> an extra reference to your project within the project, or some code that
> got copied and pasted multiple times, that sort of thing.
>
> Pete

Check this out.

http://www.bokebb.com/dev/english/1954/posts/19544...