microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

New server, .Net 3.5 and serving pages (local intranet

Zamdrist

10/22/2008 3:01:00 PM

Because there are so many possibile configurations of servers and
options, it is quite confusing to know how to get a server up and
serving asp.net pages. My environment is pretty basic however, I'm
only working within a corporate network, a local Intranet if you will.

Working Visual Studio 2005 .Net 3.5 on my local machine as well as the
target machine, a server on our network with IIS and .Net 3.5
installed.

I chose to start a web page using 'File System' rather tha HTTP or
FTP. Why anyone would use FTP in this day and age I don't know, its an
antiquated protocol, but I digress.

The page I wrote is right out of the box, an empty Default.aspx. Runs
fine locally, but when I access it via a web browser at its remote
location I get the imbiquitious:

Server Error in '/' Application

The resource cannot be found.

To the best of my knowledge, I have all the permissions I need, I am a
local admin as well as a domain admin, and I can read/write/delete
files on the server. Because the error is so general and non-specific,
finding an answer to this issue is next to impossible.

If anyone has any idea and could be of help, it would be greatly
appreciated. Funny thing is, I've developed .Net applications a number
of times before on another server, .Net 1.1. But its like I've learned
squat.

Thanks
3 Answers

Zamdrist

Two things I've found that I think are at the root of my problem in
this particular case.

Normally the C:\InetPub\wwwroot\... folder has the neccessary
permissions and users such as the ASPNET user added to it. In my case
I was working under a completely different folder via a virtual
directory. I'll have to set permissions to that folder to reflect the
normal, default one under Inetpub.

Although the server has .Net 3.5 installed, the IIS server was set up
to use .Net 1.1. From what I've found, all sites on a particular
server must use the same version of .Net be it .Net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 or
3.5. Specially what I mean is not the version used to create the page,
but the Web SIte IIS properties/ASP.Net version.

Am I making sense? Thanks.

Patrice

No you have a setting in IIS (site properties, ASP.NET tab) that allows to
choose for each site which ASP.NET version you would like to use. For 3.0
and 3.5 choose 2.0 (those two versions are just using the 2.0 CLR and just
add additional DLLs, in the case of ASP.NET they are just referenced by the
web.config file, from the point of view of IIS this is still an ASP.NET
2.0).

Oh forgot to mention that you can't run two sites using different version of
ASP.NET in the same application pool (whihc is not a problem if you are
suing a pool per site)

--
Patrice

"Zamdrist" <zamdrist@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion :
606cb83c-6875-43bc-bacb-52e8111f1880@64g2000hsu.googlegroups.com...
> Two things I've found that I think are at the root of my problem in
> this particular case.
>
> Normally the C:\InetPub\wwwroot\... folder has the neccessary
> permissions and users such as the ASPNET user added to it. In my case
> I was working under a completely different folder via a virtual
> directory. I'll have to set permissions to that folder to reflect the
> normal, default one under Inetpub.
>
> Although the server has .Net 3.5 installed, the IIS server was set up
> to use .Net 1.1. From what I've found, all sites on a particular
> server must use the same version of .Net be it .Net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 or
> 3.5. Specially what I mean is not the version used to create the page,
> but the Web SIte IIS properties/ASP.Net version.
>
> Am I making sense? Thanks.

Zamdrist

On Oct 23, 4:15 am, "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/s... wrote:
> No you have a setting in IIS (site properties, ASP.NET tab) that allows to
> choose for each site which ASP.NET version you would like to use. For 3.0
> and 3.5 choose 2.0 (those two versions are just using the 2.0 CLR and just
> add additional DLLs, in the case of ASP.NET they are just referenced by the
> web.config file, from the point of view of IIS this is still an ASP.NET
> 2.0).
>
> Oh forgot to mention that you can't run two sites using different version of
> ASP.NET in the same application pool (whihc is not a problem if you are
> suing a pool per site)
>
> --
> Patrice

Ah...I confused the ASP.Net version setting with the over all .Net
Runtime version numbers...I get it. Thanks.