microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Setup Application Problems

Branimir Petrovic

10/18/2008 10:53:00 AM

Hi

I have a Setup app, the setup proceeds well, however the application when
started creates a Folder where the application resides. This folder shows
up in the Windows menu. is there some way to avoid the folder from showing
up.

TIA
Barry

15 Answers

Family Tree Mike

Do you mean the folder is visible in windows explorer, or that there is an
icon for the application in the windows start menu? If it is the first,
then I think you would change the visibility of the folder in a custom
action. If it is the second, then it is because there is an icon shown in
the "file system view" of your setup project, and you just delet it.

"Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I have a Setup app, the setup proceeds well, however the application when
> started creates a Folder where the application resides. This folder shows
> up in the Windows menu. is there some way to avoid the folder from showing
> up.
>
> TIA
> Barry

Branimir Petrovic

Hi

The folder is visible in Windows Start Menu not in Explorer, i will check if
there is a icon in the setup project and delete.

Thanks.

"Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
> Do you mean the folder is visible in windows explorer, or that there is an
> icon for the application in the windows start menu? If it is the first,
> then I think you would change the visibility of the folder in a custom
> action. If it is the second, then it is because there is an icon shown in
> the "file system view" of your setup project, and you just delet it.
>
> "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a Setup app, the setup proceeds well, however the application when
>> started creates a Folder where the application resides. This folder
>> shows up in the Windows menu. is there some way to avoid the folder from
>> showing up.
>>
>> TIA
>> Barry

Branimir Petrovic

Just some clarity

I run setup a item is create in Windows Menu (the folder item is not
present). I run the application for the first time, the application creates
a Folder. This newly created folder is now visible in the Windows Menu as a
menu item.

Any idea how to avoid creation of the folder as a Windows Menu item ?

"Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
> Do you mean the folder is visible in windows explorer, or that there is an
> icon for the application in the windows start menu? If it is the first,
> then I think you would change the visibility of the folder in a custom
> action. If it is the second, then it is because there is an icon shown in
> the "file system view" of your setup project, and you just delet it.
>
> "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a Setup app, the setup proceeds well, however the application when
>> started creates a Folder where the application resides. This folder
>> shows up in the Windows menu. is there some way to avoid the folder from
>> showing up.
>>
>> TIA
>> Barry

Family Tree Mike

I'm on my way out the door, so I cannot verify this at the moment. I think
what you are describing is a function of windows remembering the most recent
applications used. I don't think this has anything neccessarily to do with
your setup application.

> Just some clarity
>
> I run setup a item is create in Windows Menu (the folder item is not
> present). I run the application for the first time, the application
> creates a Folder. This newly created folder is now visible in the Windows
> Menu as a menu item.
>
> Any idea how to avoid creation of the folder as a Windows Menu item ?
>

> "Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
>> Do you mean the folder is visible in windows explorer, or that there is
>> an icon for the application in the windows start menu? If it is the
>> first, then I think you would change the visibility of the folder in a
>> custom action. If it is the second, then it is because there is an icon
>> shown in the "file system view" of your setup project, and you just delet
>> it.
>>
>> "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a Setup app, the setup proceeds well, however the application
>>> when started creates a Folder where the application resides. This
>>> folder shows up in the Windows menu. is there some way to avoid the
>>> folder from showing up.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Barry

Branimir Petrovic

For all i know this could be a bug or cockroach :)

> I'm on my way out the door, so I cannot verify this at the moment. I
> think what you are describing is a function of windows remembering the
> most recent applications used. I don't think this has anything
> neccessarily to do with your setup application.
>
> "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Just some clarity
>>
>> I run setup a item is create in Windows Menu (the folder item is not
>> present). I run the application for the first time, the application
>> creates a Folder. This newly created folder is now visible in the
>> Windows Menu as a menu item.
>>
>> Any idea how to avoid creation of the folder as a Windows Menu item ?
>>

>> "Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
>>> Do you mean the folder is visible in windows explorer, or that there is
>>> an icon for the application in the windows start menu? If it is the
>>> first, then I think you would change the visibility of the folder in a
>>> custom action. If it is the second, then it is because there is an icon
>>> shown in the "file system view" of your setup project, and you just
>>> delet it.
>>>
>>> "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Branimir Petrovic

If you stiil find it difficult to believe, i have kept am image of the menu
here
http://picasaweb.google.com/vnb400/SetupError?authkey=Qq...

"Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
> I'm on my way out the door, so I cannot verify this at the moment. I
> think what you are describing is a function of windows remembering the
> most recent applications used. I don't think this has anything
> neccessarily to do with your setup application.
>
> "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Just some clarity
>>
>> I run setup a item is create in Windows Menu (the folder item is not
>> present). I run the application for the first time, the application
>> creates a Folder. This newly created folder is now visible in the
>> Windows Menu as a menu item.
>>
>> Any idea how to avoid creation of the folder as a Windows Menu item ?
>>

>> "Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
>>> Do you mean the folder is visible in windows explorer, or that there is
>>> an icon for the application in the windows start menu? If it is the
>>> first, then I think you would change the visibility of the folder in a
>>> custom action. If it is the second, then it is because there is an icon
>>> shown in the "file system view" of your setup project, and you just
>>> delet it.
>>>
>>> "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Family Tree Mike

I didn't find it hard to believe, it was just hard to understand what you
were seeing. The picture makes it very clear!

1. Does your application create a folder in the working directory called
"Downloads" if it does not find an existing folder?
2. What is the "Working Folder" property set to for your application Icon in
the start menu?

I can recreate your example by making the working folder be the location of
the start menu icon. I then check if a folder exists there (which it does
not after install). I then create a folder in the working folder. This
does just as your image shows, by creating a new folder in the start menu
next to my installed apps icon.

> If you stiil find it difficult to believe, i have kept am image of the
> menu here
> http://picasaweb.google.com/vnb400/SetupError?authkey=Qq...

Branimir Petrovic

Yes the application create a folder the first time this application in the
working folder ie Application.Startup

I do not know what if the property of the "working Folder" application, it
must be the default

>I didn't find it hard to believe, it was just hard to understand what you
>were seeing. The picture makes it very clear!
>
> 1. Does your application create a folder in the working directory called
> "Downloads" if it does not find an existing folder?
> 2. What is the "Working Folder" property set to for your application Icon
> in the start menu?
>
> I can recreate your example by making the working folder be the location
> of the start menu icon. I then check if a folder exists there (which it
> does not after install). I then create a folder in the working folder.
> This does just as your image shows, by creating a new folder in the start
> menu next to my installed apps icon.
>

> "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> If you stiil find it difficult to believe, i have kept am image of the
>> menu here
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/vnb400/SetupError?authkey=Qq...

Branimir Petrovic

The image was not visible, changed the status now.

To many typos in my previous message

Yes the application create a folder the first time this application in the
working folder ie Application.Startup

I do not know what if the property of the "working Folder" application, it
must be the default

SHOULD READ AS

Yes the application create a folder the first time this application is run,
in the
working folder ie Application.Startup

I do not know what is the property icon of the "working Folder" application,
it
must be the default

> Yes the application create a folder the first time this application in the
> working folder ie Application.Startup
>
> I do not know what if the property of the "working Folder" application, it
> must be the default
>

> "Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike@ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
>>I didn't find it hard to believe, it was just hard to understand what you
>>were seeing. The picture makes it very clear!
>>
>> 1. Does your application create a folder in the working directory called
>> "Downloads" if it does not find an existing folder?
>> 2. What is the "Working Folder" property set to for your application Icon
>> in the start menu?
>>
>> I can recreate your example by making the working folder be the location
>> of the start menu icon. I then check if a folder exists there (which it
>> does not after install). I then create a folder in the working folder.
>> This does just as your image shows, by creating a new folder in the start
>> menu next to my installed apps icon.
>>

>> "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> If you stiil find it difficult to believe, i have kept am image of the
>>> menu here
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/vnb400/SetupError?authkey=Qq...

Family Tree Mike

In the setup project, you need to look at the "File View". The folder called
"User's Programs Menu" is, I believe, where you will find a folder and your
start menu icon. That icon will show a property for the working folder. I
believe that the working folder is incorrectly set. The working folder for
the icon should be pointing to the folder named "Application Folder".

The process I'm describing is from VS 2008. If you are using 2003/2005, it
may vary slightly.