marx404

10/12/2008 4:06:00 PM

My PC is Windows XP SP2
2G Pentium 1.5G mem
Pentium 4 mobo
256 ATI AGP video

I am concerned about conserving System Resources. I do not game and mainly
use this PC as a web computer, but I do occasionally use it for other apps.
I have .NET version 2.0 SP1. Will updating to ver. 3.0 use more System
Resources or should I stay with 2.0. Are there any noticeable benefits of
3.0 ? Thanks.

--
marx404
<all gmail posts blocked>

4 Answers

sloan

3.0 is a "add on" for 2.0. And 3.0 works with XP and up (No Windows 2000).

3.0 adds features for 2.0. WCF and WWF (or WF?) are the main ones.

If you don't have an application that uses WCF or WWF, then you don't "need"
it.

But I doubt it will hurt or affect performance if you install it.

"marx404" <404@404.com> wrote in message
> My PC is Windows XP SP2
> 2G Pentium 1.5G mem
> Pentium 4 mobo
> 256 ATI AGP video
>

> I am concerned about conserving System Resources. I do not game and mainly
> use this PC as a web computer, but I do occasionally use it for other
> apps. I have .NET version 2.0 SP1. Will updating to ver. 3.0 use more
> System Resources or should I stay with 2.0. Are there any noticeable
> benefits of 3.0 ? Thanks.
>
> --
> marx404
> <all gmail posts blocked>
> _________________

Peter Duniho

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:06:18 -0700, marx404 <404@404.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I am concerned about conserving System Resources. I do not game and
> mainly
> use this PC as a web computer, but I do occasionally use it for other
> apps.
> I have .NET version 2.0 SP1. Will updating to ver. 3.0 use more System
> Resources or should I stay with 2.0. Are there any noticeable benefits of
> 3.0 ? Thanks.

If you upgrade at all, you should upgrade to .NET 3.5, not 3.0.

Your system specifications look plenty high for supporting the latest .NET
versions.

As for the benefits, they will for the most part be feature additions.
The main "benefit" is that programs that are written to require the .NET
3.0 or later libraries will run. They won't unless you upgrade, but if
you aren't trying to run programs that require the more recent .NET
versions, this isn't something that would affect you.

No doubt there are some bug fixes and performance improvements, but .NET
2.0 was already very reliable and efficient, so unless you've having
specific problems now in those areas, you probably wouldn't notice a
difference.

The only cost you're likely to notice is the increase in disk space used.
The additional parts of the .NET libraries won't be loaded into memory
unless they are actually used by a program that needs them.

Personally, I wouldn't bother upgrading unless I had a specific need for
the newer version. That said, if you're writing .NET Framework programs
(which is implied, given that you're posting to a .NET programming
newsgroup), you may find that having the most recent version of the
Framework allows or even encourages you to then write code that takes
advantage of the newer features.

Pete

marx404

Thank You. Although implied by my presence here, my necessity to ask these
questions on this forum are a result of the common XP forums not being able
to specifically answer these questions. Thanks for the straight answers.
Cheers.

--
marx404
<all gmail posts blocked>
"Peter Duniho" <NpOeStPeAdM@nnowslpianmk.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:06:18 -0700, marx404 <404@404.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I am concerned about conserving System Resources. I do not game and
>> mainly
>> use this PC as a web computer, but I do occasionally use it for other
>> apps.
>> I have .NET version 2.0 SP1. Will updating to ver. 3.0 use more System
>> Resources or should I stay with 2.0. Are there any noticeable benefits of
>> 3.0 ? Thanks.
>
> If you upgrade at all, you should upgrade to .NET 3.5, not 3.0.
>
> Your system specifications look plenty high for supporting the latest .NET
> versions.
>
> As for the benefits, they will for the most part be feature additions.
> The main "benefit" is that programs that are written to require the .NET
> 3.0 or later libraries will run. They won't unless you upgrade, but if
> you aren't trying to run programs that require the more recent .NET
> versions, this isn't something that would affect you.
>
> No doubt there are some bug fixes and performance improvements, but .NET
> 2.0 was already very reliable and efficient, so unless you've having
> specific problems now in those areas, you probably wouldn't notice a
> difference.
>
> The only cost you're likely to notice is the increase in disk space used.
> The additional parts of the .NET libraries won't be loaded into memory
> unless they are actually used by a program that needs them.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't bother upgrading unless I had a specific need for
> the newer version. That said, if you're writing .NET Framework programs
> (which is implied, given that you're posting to a .NET programming
> newsgroup), you may find that having the most recent version of the
> Framework allows or even encourages you to then write code that takes
> advantage of the newer features.
>
> Pete

Cowboy

You are fine, but as Peter stated, install 3.5.

As with any programming, the more references you use in a project, the more
resources. But your system will not experience a much larger load simply by
installing .NET 3.5.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA