microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

COM/interop style problem - please help :-

Simon

10/7/2008 3:59:00 PM

Hi guys,

I'd be really greatful if any COM/interop gurus could help me with the
following issue.

We have a .net application that uses the MapPoint 13 COM control to
display maps within our application. The problem that I'm having is that
although the application does work when I run the application within
Visual Studio by pressing F5, if I got to actual Release folder and
double click the exe it gives an error saying "Mappoint Failed to load.
The cause of this failiure is unknown."

If I copy the Release folder to another machine and double click the exe
there the application runs fine suggesting that something is buggered
with the environment on the original machine. My current working theory
is that it's something to do with COM registry settings on the two
machines but I have no idea whatsoever on how to either diagnose the
issue further or just repair the damage whatever it is.

Can anyone help me with this? I'd be really interested to know how it
could work within Visual Studio but not by double clicking the exe.

Huge thanks to anyone who can advise

Best Regards

Simon
2 Answers

Peter Duniho

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 08:59:23 -0700, Simon Harvey <nothanks@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> Can anyone help me with this? I'd be really interested to know how it
> could work within Visual Studio but not by double clicking the exe.

It sounds to me as though Mappoint hasn't been installed correctly. Have
you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it? It's possible the debugger
sets the path differently from your double-click scenario, allowing a
needed DLL to be found in the debug scenario but not in the double-click
scenario.

In truth, it will be very difficult for anyone to say for sure what the
problem is. But if you get enough different suggestions, maybe one will
point you in the right direction. :)

For what it's worth, the next time you ask a question, you might consider
writing a "Subject:" for the post that is more accurate. Your question
seems to have very little to do with "COM/interop" per se, and a subject
like that is likely to cause a number of people who might otherwise have
something useful to say to just ignore the thread entirely. Not the best
way to get answers. :)

Pete

Richard Marsden

Quite. I agree - it does sound like a configuration problem.

The error is pretty generic. Have you tried catching the exception, and
reporting all the info? (eg. feeding it into Google)

Richard

--

Richard Marsden
Winwaed Software Technology LLC