peter.mcclymont@gmail.com

10/6/2008 4:17:00 AM

Hi All,

If our application is run on a computer which doesn't have SQL compact
installed on it (our app is WPF .NET 3.5) then I get an exception,

InvalidOperationException - Provider 'System.Data.SqlServerCe.3.5' not
installed.

I was just wondering if there is a nice clean way to test from .NET
3.5 whether the user has SQL compact installed so that I can nicely
tell them to install it.

I realise I can catch the exception, but InvalidOperationException
could actually happen for other reasons too I guess.

Our installer does install SQL compact for them, but just as a
proactive measure to ensure there are no future issues with our
installation. If I was a user I would not exactly find it helpful if I
was told that an exception occurred because the provider
'System.Data.SqlServerCe.3.5' is not installed. That is not good
enough in our case.

Thanks,

Peter.