microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Troubles with Windows Error Reporting system and Vista Logo certification (Test Case 32

odv

10/3/2008 12:58:00 PM

HI,

We developed a .NET application and want to certify it for Windows Vista.
However we have a problem running the Certified for Windows Vista test case
32. We get the WER dialog and an error event in the application log but the
WER information event log entry is missing.

Details about our application:
Target OS: Windows Vista 32 bit Ultimate

Language: C# (.NET Framework 2.0)

IDE: Visual Studio 2005

Testing environment details:
We are using x86 Vista Ultimate. It is connected to the internet through
proxy server. Native firewall is switched off. There are no additional
applications installed, except Vista certification tools. We log on as the
local Administrator.

Test case reproducing details:
Currently when we execute ThreadHijacker on our application, we get a
Windows dialog that looks like:

<Appname> has stopped working.

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

--> Check online for a solution and close the program

--> Close the program

--> Debug the program

If we press the "Check online for a solution and close the program" button,
a new window appears, and then we wait a few minutes until this window is
closed. After that, we open Event Viewer as Administrator. However, there is
only "Application Error" in the Windows Event Log and the second record
(Information log with Source = Windows Error Reporting) is missing.

We attempted to send WER report manually. When the WER dialog appears, we
press "Close the program" button and then try to send report using "Problem
reports and solutions" tool. Again the WER information entry is missing,
although in "Problem reports and solutions" tool we see that our report has
been sent. Is there a bug in "Problems reports and solutions" tool?

Moreover, we have tested standard Vista applications (Notepad and Internet
Explorer) for this test case using approaches described above and got the
same result - the WER information entry was missing too!

Please let us know if you have any ideas how to address this issue.

Why doesn't the WER info entry appear in the Windows Event Log? Is it
possible, that WER system can be configured incorrectly, etc? Should we
install any Vista patches or updates to solve described problem?

PS. We also read this blog http://blogs.msdn.com/amitava/de..., but
unfortunately actions described in it did not help us to solve the problem.

Thank you