microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

WPF - Max window size for hardware acceleration?

cesinfo

9/23/2008 8:00:00 AM

Hello,
I am facing performance issues when my WPF application is use on a
dual-screen monitor. "Perforator" tool show that WPF rendering switch from
hardware to software when the height (or the width) of the window is greater
than 2000 px.

Is it a limitation of WPF, DirectX or my graphics card?
5 Answers

cesinfo

Some more informations : my application was running under Windows Vista with
an ATI X300 board (compliant DirectX 9.0). The problem disapears if I replace
graphic board with an X1300 (compliant DirectX 9.0c). Both cards have 256MB
of memory.

Does DirectX 9.0c could be use as minimum requirement to be sure WPF keep
hardware acceleration with high resolutions?

v-jzho

Hello,

Thanks for the additional information! Based on my knowledge, the Vista
should be equipped with at least the DirectX 10 by default. Thus,
personally speaking, at this time it more looks like that the issue results
from the hardware's limitation. I am consulting the WPF graphic team about
this issue. I will update to you if I get any reply from them.

Best regards,
Ji Zhou (v-jzho@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

msdnmg@microsoft.com.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&am....

Patrice

And the monitor settings are ?

From the top of my head, DirectX once had a flag to report if a card is able
to create a rendering surface that is wider than the screen or something
like that. So it could be this kind of hardware limitation you are
experiencing.

The DX SDK contains a tool that is able to dump the device capabilities. I
would suggest a DX related group.

--
Patrice

"cesinfo" <cesinfo@noemail.noemail> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : A06E0BFF-EA04-4CC8-B7FC-864C3C6D0EAC@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> I am facing performance issues when my WPF application is use on a
> dual-screen monitor. "Perforator" tool show that WPF rendering switch from
> hardware to software when the height (or the width) of the window is
> greater
> than 2000 px.
>
> Is it a limitation of WPF, DirectX or my graphics card?

v-jzho

Hello cesinfo,

I got the following reply with the product team. "Max texture width/height
depends on the card. 9.0 only requires that the card support 2048. The
X300's limit is 2048 and I'm not 100% sure about the X1300, but the X1800
is 4096 so this is likely the issue. When the width extend larger than the
max support number, WPF will go to software rendering". So, I also think
could be a hardware limitation. I think we can tell information to our end
users.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Ji Zhou (v-jzho@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

msdnmg@microsoft.com.

cesinfo

Thanks Patrice for you answer : MaxTextureWidth and Height is show by
DXCapsViewer tools shipped in SDK.
So problem is really an hardware limitation.