microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Storing additional data in report definition files

hcurrie

9/19/2008 9:06:00 AM

VS2008
I am displaying various reports using the ReportViewer control in a Windows
Forms application.
The user can choose from a number of different reports by selecting an rdlc
file to load into the ReportViewer.
For some reports I need some additional information to be available to my
application.
At the moment this data simply consists of a list of named items, the value
of each item is an integer (or an enum).
I could create my own new file format which included everything in the rdlc
file and my extra data, but I wondered if there might be a way to actually
store this data within the rdlc file.
I can easily extract data from an rdlc file in my code, as it is an XML
file, but I would like a nice simple way to allow my colleagues who will be
designing the individual reports to add this data.
I was wondering whether this could be done using a custom report item?
People could then add this information in the report designer.
I have started reading about this, but all the articles refer to SSRS which
I am not using. Before I spend too much time learning all this stuff can
someone please confirm that I can still user CRIs with the ReportViewer
control? Alternatively, can anyone suggest a better approach to acheive
this?

TIA
Phil.

9 Answers

Jialiang Ge [MSFT]

Good morning Phil,

In order to add custom data to a rdlc file (without defining our own file
type), I think we have at least two choices:

1. Use some report properties that are originally designed for other usage
to store our custom data.

== Benefits:
There are built-in designer view, so editing these values would be very
easy.

== Problems:
Users may get confused because these fields are not originally designed to
store custom data.

== Example:
For instance, we can store the customer data in the Code property of a
report. You can find its designer view at Report menu -> Report
Properties -> Code tab. This property was originally designed for custom
code:
http://blogs.msdn.com/mosharaf/archive/2005/12/20/LocalReportCusto...
Editing the field generate an XML element <Code> in the rdlc file.

2. Define our own XML element in the rdlc.

== Benefits:
We can define meaningful XML element name.

== Problems:
No designer view support for customer element, and some of the custom
element may be removed after we modify the report in report designer.

== Example:
The XML schema of rdlc is defined at
http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition/ReportDefi...
The schema determines what/how elements can be put in a rdlc file.

The schema elements
<xsd:any namespace="##other">
are the places where we can have our own XML elements. See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms2....

Thus, as an example, we first define an xsd with targetNamespace for our own
data, then we reference the namespace in the rdlc file:

Xsd:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSc...
targetNamespace="http://mynamespace">
<xs:element name="CustomData" type="xs:string">
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

Rdlc:
xmlns:my="http://mynamespace"

<my:CustomData>abc</my:CustomData>

Please let me know if you have any other concerns, or need anything else.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge (jialge@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

msdnmg@microsoft.com.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&am....

"Phil" <N/A> wrote in message
> VS2008
> I am displaying various reports using the ReportViewer control in a
> Windows Forms application.
> The user can choose from a number of different reports by selecting an
> rdlc file to load into the ReportViewer.
> For some reports I need some additional information to be available to my
> application.
> At the moment this data simply consists of a list of named items, the
> value of each item is an integer (or an enum).
> I could create my own new file format which included everything in the
> rdlc file and my extra data, but I wondered if there might be a way to
> actually store this data within the rdlc file.
> I can easily extract data from an rdlc file in my code, as it is an XML
> file, but I would like a nice simple way to allow my colleagues who will
> be designing the individual reports to add this data.
> I was wondering whether this could be done using a custom report item?
> People could then add this information in the report designer.
> I have started reading about this, but all the articles refer to SSRS
> which I am not using. Before I spend too much time learning all this stuff
> can someone please confirm that I can still user CRIs with the
> ReportViewer control? Alternatively, can anyone suggest a better approach
> to acheive this?
>
> TIA
> Phil.

hcurrie

Thanks for your reply.
I had thought of your idea #1, but as you say it may be a little confusing
for people to use.
Your idea #2 of adding custom XML is good, but again, as you point out this
will not allow use of the report designer.
My idea was similar to #2, but to use a cri (custom report item) instead of
adding the additional XML code. I could have a very simple cri that is
always hidden and just has a couple of properties. I am still not clear
whether or not I can use a cri with a local report file though. The
documentation on this is very poor, and the examples I have tried will not
even compile (I think I am missing some reference assemblies).

"Jialiang Ge [MSFT]" <jialge@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> value of each item is an integer (or an enum).
>> I could create my own new file format which included everything in the
>> rdlc file and my extra data, but I wondered if there might be a way to
>> actually store this data within the rdlc file.
>> I can easily extract data from an rdlc file in my code, as it is an XML
>> file, but I would like a nice simple way to allow my colleagues who will
>> be designing the individual reports to add this data.
>> I was wondering whether this could be done using a custom report item?
>> People could then add this information in the report designer.
>> I have started reading about this, but all the articles refer to SSRS
>> which I am not using. Before I spend too much time learning all this
>> stuff can someone please confirm that I can still user CRIs with the
>> ReportViewer control? Alternatively, can anyone suggest a better approach

Jialiang Ge [MSFT]

Hello Phil,

CRI (Custom Report Item) is for SQL Server Report Service.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms3...
It does not work for our local report, the rdlc file.

"Phil" <N/A> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> value of each item is an integer (or an enum).
>>> I could create my own new file format which included everything in the
>>> rdlc file and my extra data, but I wondered if there might be a way to
>>> actually store this data within the rdlc file.
>>> I can easily extract data from an rdlc file in my code, as it is an XML
>>> file, but I would like a nice simple way to allow my colleagues who will
>>> be designing the individual reports to add this data.
>>> I was wondering whether this could be done using a custom report item?
>>> People could then add this information in the report designer.
>>> I have started reading about this, but all the articles refer to SSRS
>>> which I am not using. Before I spend too much time learning all this
>>> stuff can someone please confirm that I can still user CRIs with the
>>> ReportViewer control? Alternatively, can anyone suggest a better

Naked Gonad

Eli Grubman wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:57:49 +0000, Naked Gonad
> <bodron57@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Eli Grubman wrote:

>>> Two ho's?
>>>
>> Don't get bitchy!
>
> Meow.

Scratch n sniff?

Scott Marquardt

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:28:50 -0000, Naked Gonad <bodron57@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Peter Hucker wrote:

>>> What on earth are you talking about!?
>>> If I owed you ?5, I would count 1 2 3 4 5, where does 0 come into it?
>>
>> It's the crossover between you owing me and me owing you. There is a point where nobody owes anyone anything.
>>
> Then if no-one owes anthing, nothing needs to be counted because there
> is nothing to count, obviously.

you must acknowledge the state of zero debt, or you wouldn't know it ever existed.

--
http://www.petersp... http://www.insanevide... http://www.peters...

A guy goes to a psychiatrist.
"I'm in love with my horse," says the guy. "I desire my horse!"
"I see," says the shrink. "What kind of horse is it? Male or female?"
"Female of course! Do I look like some sort of pervert?"

Scott Marquardt

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:33:22 -0000, Naked Gonad <bodron57@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Peter Hucker wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 04:30:49 -0000, Eli Grubman <eli.grubman@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> The 0 is what he'll get back.
>>
>> Correct, after all Gonad is a Northener.
>>
> Since when has Buckinghamshire been sited in the north?
> What idiot would try to count a single nought?
> Maybe someone who thinks that Buck's is up north!

Oops, Pounder and PMD are North, you are South. I forgot.

--
http://www.petersp... http://www.insanevide... http://www.peters...

A guy goes to a psychiatrist.
"I'm in love with my horse," says the guy. "I desire my horse!"
"I see," says the shrink. "What kind of horse is it? Male or female?"
"Female of course! Do I look like some sort of pervert?"

\"The Honest One\

<bodro...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

miss out zero, going directly from -1 to 1, you've made an error. You
could be counting how much money you owe me, which is changing as you
give me ?1 coins. Going straight from -1 to +1 would do me out of a
quid.

> >> It's the crossover between you owing me and me owing you. There is
a point where nobody owes anyone anything.

> > Then if no-one owes anthing, nothing needs to be counted because
there
> > is nothing to count, obviously.
>
> you must acknowledge the state of zero debt, or you wouldn't know it
ever existed.

> --http://www.petersp... http://www.insanevide...
http://www.peters...

> A guy goes to a psychiatrist.
> "I'm in love with my horse," says the guy. "I desire my horse!"
> "I see," says the shrink. "What kind of horse is it? Male or female?"
> "Female of course! Do I look like some sort of pervert?

Are you trying to tell sonething about your relationship with your
horse?

So why don't you just mount up and ride on out of alt.astronomy, and
take your Naked Gonad with you!

Double-A
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One can't reason with a "Gay-Tard" like Phucker!!

CHJ

p.s. Where's Sir KnightBat?

an old friend

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:44:09 -0000, "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 00:37:55 -0000, Double-A <double-a2@hush.com> wrote:

>>> you must acknowledge the state of zero debt, or you wouldn't know it ever existed.
>>>
>>> --http://www.peterspa... ?http://www.insanevideo... ?http://www.peters...
>>>
>>> A guy goes to a psychiatrist.
>>> "I'm in love with my horse," says the guy. ?"I desire my horse!"
>>> "I see," says the shrink. "What kind of horse is it? Male or female?"
>>> "Female of course! Do I look like some sort of pervert?
>>

>> Are you trying to tell sonething about your relationship with your
>> horse?
>>
>> So why don't you just mount up and ride on out of alt.astronomy, and
>> take your Naked Gonad with you!
>
>He is not my gonad, and it's a fucking tagline you fool.

"one useless man is disgrace 2 become a law firm 3 or more become a congress"
adams

woger you are a Congress all in your own head

http://kb9rqz.bravejo...
altopia is never used by KB9RQZ
nor is Konstans@hotmail.com ever
btw i can be found at
17366 N River Rd
Chassel Mi

but the cowards asking lack the gut to act

\"The Honest One\

<bodro...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

and miss out zero, going directly from -1 to 1, you've made an error.
You could be counting how much money you owe me, which is changing as
you give me ?1 coins. Going straight from -1 to +1 would do me out of a
quid.

is a point where nobody owes anyone anything.

> >> you must acknowledge the state of zero debt, or you wouldn't know
it ever existed.

> >> --http://www.petersp... http://www.insanevide...
http://www.peters...

> >> A guy goes to a psychiatrist.
> >> "I'm in love with my horse," says the guy. "I desire my horse!"
> >> "I see," says the shrink. "What kind of horse is it? Male or
female?"
> >> "Female of course! Do I look like some sort of pervert?
> >

> > Are you trying to tell sonething about your relationship with your
> > horse?
> >
> > So why don't you just mount up and ride on out of alt.astronomy, and
> > take your Naked Gonad with you!
>
> He is not my gonad, and it's a fucking fagline you fool.

You said it, Faggot!

HJ