microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

How to get absoulte path from relative path?

Ilya Evseev

7/3/2004 3:46:00 AM

Hi!
Consider string containing relative path,
may be with "\..\"and "\.\", with or without drive name, etc.

I looking for API routine that converts that arbitrary filepath to full
path,
based on current drive, current directories on all drives
and (bingo!) on any other filepath that is used as starting point.

Example: starting point = "d:data\configs\conf1.txt",
filepath = "..\images\img1.gif",
result = "d:\current-directory\data\images\img1.gif"

It should be something like FExpand function from Borland Pascal RTL
and fnmerge() from POSIX API.

Thanx in advance,
Ilya

1 Answer

Michael Giagnocavo

Hi there,

System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(System.IO.Path.Combine(@"d:\data\configs\conf1.txt",
@"..\images\img1.gif"));
gives us:
"d:\\data\\configs\\images\\img1.gif"

Look at the Path class, since with a few calls you can get what you're
looking for.

-mike
MVP