microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Net 2.0 and Visual Studio 2003

Barbelith

I just downloaded dthe new Net framework 2, beta 1 and I wonder if and
hhow this can be integrated into Visual Studio 2003.
I know that no new features will be supported intrinsically, but I
would like to play around with the new classes a bit and compile my
code against the new framework. Is there a way in VS.net 2003 to
change the compiler version to 2.0?

Thanks for your time,
PL
4 Answers

Adriano Trevisan

Hi, I am having the same question just now.

I am trying to get sufficient information but from what I know VStudio 2003
supports 1.0 and 1.1 not 2.0; but you can install the 2.0, use the SDK to
try it out and have a side-by-side installation.

Let me check ...

I hope this works because I don't like to install it on to another machine.

I need to test SQL 2005 Express and I need the NET FW 2.0 installed before

Ciao

"Barbelith" <Barbelith@Gallileo.mo> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded dthe new Net framework 2, beta 1 and I wonder if and
> hhow this can be integrated into Visual Studio 2003.
> I know that no new features will be supported intrinsically, but I
> would like to play around with the new classes a bit and compile my
> code against the new framework. Is there a way in VS.net 2003 to
> change the compiler version to 2.0?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> PL

james

VS.NET 2003 will not work with 2.0 Framework Beta1. You can download the
full VS.NET 2005 Beta1 if you are a MSDN Subscriber and use it. Otherwise,
download the new Express Version's of the language you are using (e.g.
Visual Basic) and experiment from there.
james

"Adriano Trevisan" <trevisan.adriano_at_tin.it> wrote in message
> Hi, I am having the same question just now.
>
> I am trying to get sufficient information but from what I know VStudio
2003
> supports 1.0 and 1.1 not 2.0; but you can install the 2.0, use the SDK to
> try it out and have a side-by-side installation.
>
> Let me check ...
>
> I hope this works because I don't like to install it on to another
machine.

> I need to test SQL 2005 Express and I need the NET FW 2.0 installed before
>
> Ciao
>
> "Barbelith" <Barbelith@Gallileo.mo> wrote in message
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I just downloaded dthe new Net framework 2, beta 1 and I wonder if and
> > hhow this can be integrated into Visual Studio 2003.
> > I know that no new features will be supported intrinsically, but I
> > would like to play around with the new classes a bit and compile my
> > code against the new framework. Is there a way in VS.net 2003 to
> > change the compiler version to 2.0?
> >
> > Thanks for your time,
> > PL

Cowboy

You do not want to do it, as it is very buggy and crashes a lot, but it can
be done. As long as you are coding 1.1, you can compile 2.0. You will not be
able to use 2.0 features, however, so what is the point, since 1.1 will run
under 2.0 without any recompilation?

Can it be done? Most likely. It was done under 2003. The result: most people
were ticked off at Microsoft for the kludges they stuck into their own
install.

Would I do it? Not only no, but hell no. It is not worth the headache.
Better to install the Express (or beta 1 of the full product, when
available).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"Barbelith" <Barbelith@Gallileo.mo> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded dthe new Net framework 2, beta 1 and I wonder if and
> hhow this can be integrated into Visual Studio 2003.
> I know that no new features will be supported intrinsically, but I
> would like to play around with the new classes a bit and compile my
> code against the new framework. Is there a way in VS.net 2003 to
> change the compiler version to 2.0?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> PL

Adriano Trevisan

Ok I've installed the Fwork 2.0 on my computer with VStudio .NET 2003.

VStudio does not support directly 2.0.

You can however, run it side by side.

Remeber to perform "aspnet_regiis" for your 1.1 web sites because the
default fwork will be changed to 2.0.

Once done that you are able to work with vstudio .NET 2003 and FWork 2.0
Beta on the same machine,
Ciao

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) [MVP]" <NoSpamMgbworld@comcast.netNoSpamM> wrote
in message news:OR1qY14XEHA.2344@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...