Re: Use of SqlConnection with an ODBC datasource

Paul Clement

7/16/2004 6:44:00 PM

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:43:01 -0700, Mike LaRocca <Mike LaRocca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

¤ Hi everyone,
¤
¤ Is it possible to use an ODBC datasource with a SqlConnection object? If we use SQL Server, we can create a SqlConnection, then drag it onto our form for use. But if we instead use an ODBC datasource, when we drag the connection onto our form, we get the following error:
¤
¤ You cannot use an OLE DB provider for ODBC drivers.
¤

Use of a DSN will implement ODBC and not the native .NET SQL Server provider. You might as well use
the ODBC .NET provider instead if you really need to use a DSN.

The recommend method is to use the .NET SQL Server provider with a DSN-less connection.

Paul ~~~ pclement@ameritech.net
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)