Passing a custom class as a parameter to a web service

DalePres

6/14/2004 1:32:00 AM

Well, I have searched the net, MSDN, and the newsgroups more (for weeks now
really) and still no clear cut examples or descriptions of how to pass a
custom class as a parameter to a WebMethod or receive a custom class as a
return value from a WebMethod. Every article or newsgroup response I was
able to find speaks only in theoretical terms with no specifics or examples.

I finally managed to piece together enough little pieces that I was able to
work it through and produce a working example. I have documented it at
http://www.dalepreston.com/programming/SharedCl... including source
code.

This is basic so far but for many of us, if we have enough to get started,
we can figure the rest out for ourselves.

I hope this will help others who are working through the same thing.

Dale

2 Answers

Jimmy [Used-Disks]

> http://www.dalepreston.com/programming/SharedCl...

If you have control over the client and server, why use SOAP at all? Why not
remoting?

--
-Jimmy
Blog: http://research.remobjects.com/bl...

Dale

That's a choice/decision made way above my head. All intranet web apps in
the company must use web services for all database access.... So we go from
IIS to IIS. I just do it.

Dale