VSTO 3.0, Outook 2007 and Publish

M O J O

I'm using VS2008.

I trying to create an Outlook 2007 add-in.

After making a very small and simple Outlook test add-in, I wan't to try
an publish it, so I use the Publish feature of VS2008.

But when my clients installs the add-in, it is not showing up in Outlook
2007. Hmmmm ... is it because of security issues (which I thoght the
publish feature solved!)?

Thanks!

M O J O
7 Answers

jialge

Hello M O J O,

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: you are trying to
publish a Outlook 2007 add-in in Visual Studio 2008, but the add-in does
not show after it is installed. If I'm off base, please feel free to let me
know.

I tried the following test, but it fails to reproduce the issue. Please
check my steps and see if there is anything different from yours.

Step1. Create a Outlook 2007 add-in by File->New->Visual
C#->Office->2007->Outlook Add-in.
Step2. Add the line of code: MessageBox.Show("just for test"); in
ThisAddIn_Startup method.
Step3. Compile the project by Build->Build Solution
Step4. Publish the project by Build->Publish OutlookAddin1. In the Publish
Wizard, I set the "Location to publish this application" to "d:\", and set
the default installation path to empty. Then click Finish.
Step5. After the add-in is published successfully, I go to the d:\ and
click on the setup.exe to install the add-in.
Step6. I open my Outlook 2007 program and see that a message box "just for
test" is shown in start up.

Is it possible that some exception occurred in your startup event handler
and the add-in is disabled by your Outlook? To check if the add-in is
disabled, please go to Outlook program->Help->Disabled Items.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge (jialge@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

ications. If you are using Outlook Express/Windows Mail, please make sure
you clear the check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to
see your reply promptly.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/de....

M O J O

Hi Jialiang,

Thanks for helping me out here!!

I restarted my project and followed your description and ....

THIS IS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more struggling with caspol - hell this is a giant step forward for me!!!

One thought though ..... in my "real" add-in, I have a appsetting (in
the app.settings file) which stated the database server, that the add-in
should use ...

<appSettings>
<add key="DefaultSqlServer" value="mypc"/>
</appSettings>

.... but when I devellop, I want it to be my test-database-server/mypc
and when I publish, I want it to be my production-database-server. How
do I do this without having to alter the app.setting file all the time
before publishing?

Thanks again!!! This is very exciting!!

:o)

Best regards,
M O J O

Jialiang Ge [MSFT] skrev:
> Hello M O J O,
>
> From your post, my understanding on this issue is: you are trying to
> publish a Outlook 2007 add-in in Visual Studio 2008, but the add-in does
> not show after it is installed. If I'm off base, please feel free to let me
> know.
>
> I tried the following test, but it fails to reproduce the issue. Please
> check my steps and see if there is anything different from yours.
>
> Step1. Create a Outlook 2007 add-in by File->New->Visual
> C#->Office->2007->Outlook Add-in.
> Step2. Add the line of code: MessageBox.Show("just for test"); in
> ThisAddIn_Startup method.
> Step3. Compile the project by Build->Build Solution
> Step4. Publish the project by Build->Publish OutlookAddin1. In the Publish
> Wizard, I set the "Location to publish this application" to "d:\", and set
> the default installation path to empty. Then click Finish.
> Step5. After the add-in is published successfully, I go to the d:\ and
> click on the setup.exe to install the add-in.
> Step6. I open my Outlook 2007 program and see that a message box "just for
> test" is shown in start up.
>
> Is it possible that some exception occurred in your startup event handler
> and the add-in is disabled by your Outlook? To check if the add-in is
> disabled, please go to Outlook program->Help->Disabled Items.
>
> Regards,
> Jialiang Ge (jialge@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> ications. If you are using Outlook Express/Windows Mail, please make sure
> you clear the check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to
> see your reply promptly.

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/de....

jialge

Hello M O J O,

You may try to add two keys in the app settings:
one is for test path, another is for real server path.

<appSettings>
<!--<add key="DefaultSqlServer" value="test path"/>-->
<add key="DefaultSqlServer" value="server path"/>
</appSettings>

Then use <!-- --> to comment one of them. When you are developing, we may
comment the server path; When you are going to publish the add-in, comment
the test path. Will it make it a little bit convenient?

Sincerely,
Jialiang Ge (jialge@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

M O J O

Hi Jialiang,

That was what I was afraid of ... that means I have to remember to
comment it out and if I forget, I will have many angree users.

Isn't there another workaround?

Thanks!

M O J O

Jialiang Ge [MSFT] skrev:
> Hello M O J O,
>
> You may try to add two keys in the app settings:
> one is for test path, another is for real server path.
>
> <appSettings>
> <!--<add key="DefaultSqlServer" value="test path"/>-->
> <add key="DefaultSqlServer" value="server path"/>
> </appSettings>
>
> Then use <!-- --> to comment one of them. When you are developing, we may
> comment the server path; When you are going to publish the add-in, comment
> the test path. Will it make it a little bit convenient?
>
> Sincerely,
> Jialiang Ge (jialge@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
> so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

jialge

Hello M O J O,

I do not find any other workaround for it.

If it were a web application developed in VS 2005, we could use Web
Deployment Projects http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa4...
to customize the publish action, and replace the sections of the config
file according to the server environment. But in Windows application or
VSTO 3.0 application, there is currently no extension that allows us to
customize the publish action. Therefore, we need to always remember to
manually comment the test path in the config file when we do the
publishing. We feel sorry that the current Visual Studio tool cannot meet
your request. Please feel free to submit your concern in
http://connect.microsoft.com/Vi.... The Visual Studio product
members will carefully check customers' concerns and try to improve the
products.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge (jialge@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

jialge

Hi M O J O,

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more
than happy to be of assistance.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,