ExecutionEngineException in dotnet 2.0 application doing interop with VB6 legacy code

Willy Van den Driessche

11/5/2007 10:02:00 PM

We are porting a huge VB6 application to dotnet 2.0. The full application
has 800KLOC of VB6 code. The old application was basically as small shell
application that loaded optional plugins (nearly 100 of them for a complete
installation). Because it is impossible to rewrite all existing code at
once, we have rewritten the shell (as well as new functionality) in dotnet
(also reaching for 200 KLOC of code). The old modules are loaded like they
where loaded in VB6.
Sometimes, the application halts with a ExecutionEngineException exception.
Does anybody know how to pinpoint such problems ?

Some background : The old app has a core of 8 VB6 DLLs, which in turn use 4
purchased components (FlexGrid, Janus Grid and buttonbar, ActiveReports 1.6,
DAO 3.5 (yes !)). I have created interop assemblies for these using
TLBIMP.EXE and AXIMP.EXE, making sure they reference one another correctly.
Afterwards I have merged all of these use ILMERGE.EXE to reduce the number
of assemblies. The error *never* occurs on our development machines but on
some testing machines we have the problem (the application is deployed via
ClickOnce but all prerequisites are installed with the same installers that
have been working for 8 years now). The VB6 code use classes written in
..NET (they implement interfaces defined in the VB6 interop assembly)
My little voice tells me it could have something to with stdole.dll. *any*
advice is *very* welcome.