AA2e72E

9/18/2007 7:30:00 AM

I have a couple of questions; I'd be grateful for some quidance:

A. Why does my C# DLL do the following:

1. expose (to VB 6.0) methods such as GetHashCode, GetType,, ToString etc
when I have not defined/exposed them.
2. I have an event exposed, MyEvent; amongs the methods exposed, I find
add_MyEvent and remove_MyEvent. Why? How can I use these? How can I
suppress (prevent them from appearing) them?
3. With VB6.0, I can use the 'Public WithEvents' route to handle the event;
how do I do the same in C#?

B. Is there a recommended template for building Interop DLLs using C#? I
find that depending on how I put it together, it works with some clients but
not others. For example, it might work with VB6.0 but not with VBScript. And,
I have never got any to work with VBA (Excel's). I have used both early and
late binding but the end result is the same.

Thanks for your help.
33 Answers

The Wiz

hal lillywhite wrote:
> On Nov 8, 4:30 pm, Bill Shatzer <ww...@NOcornell.edu> wrote:
>> SMITH29 wrote:
>>> I suspect this will get R E A L lame before it's over.
>>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33766545/ns/us_news-washi...
>> "Quiet loner".
>>
>> Rather the standard after the fact description of folks who engage in
>> these types of shootings, quite regardless of their religion.
>
> True and I know of no reliable evidence that "quiet loners" are all
> that likely to go postal. More significant red flags would be the
> reports that he was expressing great sympathy with the terrorists and
> severe disagreement with the US going after them. Seems a bit much to
> expect someone with those beliefs to work for the defense of his
> country if those reports are true.

More red flags that he was a Muslim radical, and anti-American, who
believed in death to non-Muslims. When they hang this dog eating coward,
he should be wrapped in pig skin and buried with his eyes open.

Bill Shatzer

hal lillywhite wrote:

> On Nov 8, 4:30 pm, Bill Shatzer <ww...@NOcornell.edu> wrote:

>>SMITH29 wrote:

>>>I suspect this will get R E A L lame before it's over.

>>>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33766545/ns/us_news-washi...

>>"Quiet loner".

>>Rather the standard after the fact description of folks who engage in
>>these types of shootings, quite regardless of their religion.

> True and I know of no reliable evidence that "quiet loners" are all
> that likely to go postal.

The universe of mass shooters is sufficiently small (compared to the
overall population) that no group or personality type can be said to be
"likely" to go postal. Still, "quiet loners" seem to be involved in an
inordinate number of these "stranger to stranger" mass shootings.

> More significant red flags would be the
> reports that he was expressing great sympathy with the terrorists and
> severe disagreement with the US going after them.

I suspect that's more just another symptom of the "quiet loner" syndrome.

> Seems a bit much to
> expect someone with those beliefs to work for the defense of his
> country if those reports are true.

Well, it's not as if anyone was going to hand him a machine gun and tell
him to go out and kill Muslims. He was a psychiatrist, for gawdsakes -
and rather unlikely to see anything at all which even resembled combat.

I mean, "Hawkeye" Pierce was not exactly a gung ho supporter of either
the war or the Army but still managed to function more than adequately
as an Army Surgeon.

peace and justice,

Yer Pal Al

On Nov 8, 9:13 pm, The Wiz <anywh...@nowhere.net> wrote:
> Bill Shatzer wrote:
> > SMITH29 wrote:
>
> >> I suspect this will get  R E A L  lame before it's over.
>
> >>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33766545/ns/us_news-washi...
>
> > "Quiet loner".
>
> > Rather the standard after the fact description of folks who engage in
> > these types of shootings, quite regardless of their religion.
>
> > peace and justice,
>
> Except that this guy was a Muslim radical. An anti-American Mohammad
> loving, towel headed freak. He followed a religion that advocates
> killing non-Muslims, and he said that Muslim suicide bombers were
> justified.

He was a loaner because he was a devout Moslem and 98% of the country
couldn't relate to him. Why he was a loaner at his Mosque indicates
his personality problem and the failure of his Mosque to get him
connected.

hal lillywhite

On Nov 8, 9:21 pm, Bill Shatzer <ww...@NOcornell.edu> wrote:
> hal lillywhite wrote:

> The universe of mass shooters is sufficiently small (compared to the
> overall population) that no group or personality type can be said to be
> "likely" to go postal.

True. The danger of blaming loners is that you end up mistreating
lots of people who just are not extroverts and who are quite good
citizens.

> Still, "quiet loners" seem to be involved in an
> inordinate number of these "stranger to stranger" mass shootings.

True but the probability of any given loner going postal is extremely
low. No need to suspect someone just cause he's a loner.

> > More significant red flags would be the
> > reports that he was expressing great sympathy with the terrorists and
> > severe disagreement with the US going after them.
>
> I suspect that's more just another symptom of the "quiet loner" syndrome.

Huh? How many quiet loners preach against their country? And latest
information is that he was attempting to contact al Qaeda - and that
our intelligence people knew it but did not inform the army.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/fort-hood-shooter-contact-al-qaeda-terrorists-officials/story?...

I find it inexcusable that such potentially important information
would not be communicated to those who needed it.

> > Seems a bit much to
> > expect someone with those beliefs to work for the defense of his
> > country if those reports are true.
>
> Well, it's not as if anyone was going to hand him a machine gun and tell
> him to go out and kill Muslims. He was a psychiatrist, for gawdsakes -
> and rather unlikely to see anything at all which even resembled combat.

Huh? His job involved helping keep soldiers morale up and helping them
stay focused on their job. He would be in a position to encourage
soldiers either to be good soldiers or to work against the cause they
are fighting for, even to order many sent home. Plus why would you
want to pay anyone to go into a combat zone if they want your side to
lose?

> I mean, "Hawkeye" Pierce was not exactly a gung ho supporter of either
> the war or the Army but still managed to function more than adequately
> as an Army Surgeon.

Say what? Hawkeye Pierce never did anything because he never
existed. Fantasy is fantasy.

gb

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 22:15:59 -0700, The Wiz <anywhere@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>hal lillywhite wrote:
>>> "Quiet loner".
>>>
>>> Rather the standard after the fact description of folks who engage in
>>> these types of shootings, quite regardless of their religion.
>>
>> True and I know of no reliable evidence that "quiet loners" are all
>> that likely to go postal. More significant red flags would be the
>> reports that he was expressing great sympathy with the terrorists and
>> severe disagreement with the US going after them. Seems a bit much to
>> expect someone with those beliefs to work for the defense of his
>> country if those reports are true.
>
>More red flags that he was a Muslim radical, and anti-American, who
>believed in death to non-Muslims. When they hang this dog eating coward,
>he should be wrapped in pig skin and buried with his eyes open.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/us/09reconstruct.html?_r=1&th&...

....But relatives and acquaintances say tensions that led to the
rampage had been building for a long time. Investigators say Major
Hasan bought the gun used in the massacre last summer, days after
arriving at Fort Hood.

In recent years, he had grown more and more vocal about his opposition
to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and tortured over reconciling his
military duties with his religion. He tried to get out of the Army,
relatives said, and apparently believed it to be impossible, though
experts say he was probably given inadequate advice.

At times, he complained, too, about harassment, once describing how
someone had put a diaper in his car, saying, ?That?s your headdress.?
In another case cited by relatives, someone had drawn a camel on his
car and written under it, ?Camel jockey, get out!?

Major Hasan?s behavior in the months and weeks leading up to the
shooting bespeaks a troubled man full of contradictions. He lived
frugally in a run-down apartment, yet made a good salary and spent
more than $1,100 on the pistol the authorities said he used in the
shootings.

He was described as gentle and kindly by many neighbors, quick with a
smile or a hello, yet he complained bitterly to people at his mosque
about the oppression of Muslims in the Army. He had few friends, and
even the men he interacted with at the mosque saw him as a strange
figure whom they never fully accepted into their circle.

?He was obviously upset,? said Duane Reasoner Jr., an 18-year-old who
attended the mosque and ate frequently with Major Hasan at the Golden
Corral restaurant. ?He didn?t want to go to Afghanistan.?...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/us/09muslim.html?_r=1&th&...

....Thousands of Muslims have served in the United States military ? a
legacy that some trace to the First World War. But in the years since
Sept. 11, 2001, as the United States has become mired in two wars on
Muslim lands, the service of Muslim-Americans is more necessary and
more complicated than ever before.

On Sunday, the Army?s chief of staff, Gen. George W. Casey Jr., said
he worried about a backlash against Muslims in the armed forces and
emphasized the military?s reliance on those men and women.

?Our diversity, not only in our Army but in our country, is a
strength,? General Casey said Sunday on ?Meet the Press? on NBC. ?And
as horrific as this tragedy was, if our diversity becomes a casualty,
I think that?s worse.?

It is unclear what might have motivated Major Hasan, who is suspected
of killing 13 people. Senior military and law enforcement officials
said they had tentatively dismissed the possibility that he was
carrying out a terrorist plot. He seems to have been influenced by a
mixture of political, religious and psychological factors, the
officials said.

Muslim leaders, advocates and military service members have taken
pains to denounce the shooting and distance themselves from Major
Hasan. They make the point that his violence is no more representative
of them than it is of other groups to which he belongs, including Army
psychiatrists.

?I don?t understand why the Muslim-American community has to take
responsibility for him,? said Ingrid Mattson, the president of the
Islamic Society of North America. ?The Army has had at least as much
time and opportunity to form and shape this person as the Muslim
community.?...

Since Sept. 11, the nation?s military has actively recruited
Muslim-Americans, eager to have people with linguistic skills and a
cultural understanding of the Middle East. Some 3,557 military
personnel identify themselves as Muslim among 1.4 million people in
the active-duty population, according to official figures. Muslim
advocacy groups estimate the number to be far higher, as listing one?s
religious preference is voluntary....

And yet more than 3,500 Muslims have deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan,
according to Defense Department figures provided to The Times. As of
2006, some 212 Muslim-American soldiers had been awarded Combat Action
Ribbons for their service in Iraq and Afghanistan, and seven had been
killed.

Too many Americans overlook the heroic efforts of Arab-Americans in
uniform, said Capt. Eric Rahman, 35, an Army reservist who was awarded
the Bronze Star for his service in Iraq at the start of the war. He
cited the example of Lieutenant Michael A. Monsoor, a Navy Seal who
was awarded the Medal of Honor after pulling a team member to safety
during firefight in 2006, in Ramadi, Iraq.

Lieutenant Monsoor died saving another American, yet he will never be
remembered like Major Hasan, said Captain Rahman.

Regardless, he said, Muslim- and Arab-Americans are crucial to the
military?s success in Afghanistan and Iraq.

?Take a look at these conflicts,? he said. ?We need those skill sets,
we need those backgrounds, we need those perspectives.?

Yer Pal Al

On Nov 9, 9:14 am, "Sancho Panza" <otterpo...@xhotmail.com> wrote:
> "Yer Pal Al" <caddyshack...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:fc5ba1bf-db6a-45de-b36d-ce25a1255c54@y32g2000prd.googlegroups.com...

> >> Except that this guy was a Muslim radical. An anti-American Mohammad
> >> loving, towel headed freak. He followed a religion that advocates
> >> killing non-Muslims, and he said that Muslim suicide bombers were
> >> justified.
>
> > He was a loaner because he was a devout Moslem and 98% of the country
> > couldn't relate to him. Why he was a loaner at his Mosque indicates
> > his personality problem and the failure of his Mosque to get him
> > connected.
>
> Oh sure. Just look where he wanted to make his "connection":

Yea, I heard this this morning. However, what I meant by getting him
"connected" was to plug him into a group of friends that he could do
some non-bomb making stuff outside of the Mosque.

That he would be connected the radical Mosque in Virginia that
harbored 9/11 criminals and wasn't being watched closely is a failure
of the Moslem apologist's Barrack Hussein Obama's administration.

> [...]
> Committee, said that he requested the CIA and other intelligence agencies
> brief the committee on what was known, if anything, about Hasan by the U.S.
> intelligence community, only to be refused.
>
> In response, Hoekstra issued a document preservation request to four
> intelligence agencies. The letter, dated November 7th, was sent to directors
> Dennis Blair (DNI), Robert Mueller (FBI), Lt. Gen Keith Alexander (NSA) and
> Leon Panetta (CIA).
>
> Hoekstra said he is "absolutely furious" that the house intel committee has
> been refused an intelligence briefing by the DNI or CIA on Hasan's attempt
> to reach out to al Qaeda, as first reported by ABC News.
>
> "This is a law enforcement investigation, in which other agencies-not the
> CIA-have the lead," CIA spokesman Paul Gimigliano said in a response to ABC
> News. " Any suggestion that the CIA refused to brief Congress is incorrect."
>
> Investigators want to know if Hasan maintained contact with a radical mosque
> leader from Virginia, Anwar al Awlaki, who now lives in Yemen and runs a web
> site that promotes jihad around the world against the U.S.
>
> In a blog posting early Monday titled "Nidal Hassan Did the Right Thing,"
> Awlaki calls Hasan a "hero" and a "man of conscience who could not bear
> living the contradiction of being a Muslim and serving in an army that is
> fighting against his own people."
>
> According to his site, Awlaki served as an imam in Denver, San Diego and
> Falls Church, Virginia.
>
> The Associated Press reported Sunday that Major Hasan attended the Falls
> Church mosque when Awlaki was there.
>
> The Telegraph of London reported that Awlaki had made contact with two of
> the 9/11 hijackers when he was in San Diego.
>
> He denied any knowledge of the hijacking plot and was never charged with any
> crime. After an intensive investigation by the FBI , Awlaki moved to Yemen.
>
> People who knew or worked with Hasan say he seemed to have gradually become
> more radical in his disapproval of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
>
> On Sunday, Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) called for an investigation into
> whether the Army missed signs as to whether Hasan was an Islamic extremist.
>
> "If Hasan was showing signs, saying to people that he had become an Islamist
> extremist, the U.S. Army has to have a zero tolerance," Lieberman told Fox
> News Sunday.
>
> A fellow Army doctor who studied with Hasan, Val Finell, told ABC News, "We
> would frequently say he was a Muslim first and an American second. And that
> came out in just about everything he did at the University."
>
> Finell said he and other Army doctors complained to superiors about Hasan's
> statements.
>
> "And we questioned how somebody could take an oath of office.be an officer
> in the military and swear allegiance to the constitution and to defend
> America against all enemies, foreign and domestic and have that type of

Bill Shatzer

hal lillywhite wrote:

> On Nov 8, 9:21 pm, Bill Shatzer <ww...@NOcornell.edu> wrote:

-snip-

>>I mean, "Hawkeye" Pierce was not exactly a gung ho supporter of either
>>the war or the Army but still managed to function more than adequately
>>as an Army Surgeon.

> Say what? Hawkeye Pierce never did anything because he never
> existed. Fantasy is fantasy.

H. Richard Hornberger (the author of the original novel under the nom de
plume "Richard Hooker") was an Army surgeon in Korea and the book is
based on his experiences with the (very real) 8055th MASH. The character
of Hawkeye Pierce is based on Hornberger himself.

Hornberger, I note with some pride, was a Cornell graduate.

peace and justice,

The Wiz

Oh, Bullshit. You want your camel fucking Muslim brother to be the
victim. Fuck the shit skinned Arab, turn him into a human plumb bob like
Saddam. Deprort his mentally diseased family so that they can't breed in
the USA, and burn their house.

The Wiz

Bill Shatzer wrote:
> hal lillywhite wrote:

>>> "Quiet loner".
>
>>> Rather the standard after the fact description of folks who engage in
>>> these types of shootings, quite regardless of their religion.
>
>> True and I know of no reliable evidence that "quiet loners" are all
>> that likely to go postal.
>
> The universe of mass shooters is sufficiently small (compared to the
> overall population) that no group or personality type can be said to be
> "likely" to go postal. Still, "quiet loners" seem to be involved in an
> inordinate number of these "stranger to stranger" mass shootings.
>
>> More significant red flags would be the
>> reports that he was expressing great sympathy with the terrorists and
>> severe disagreement with the US going after them.
>
> I suspect that's more just another symptom of the "quiet loner" syndrome.
>
>> Seems a bit much to
>> expect someone with those beliefs to work for the defense of his
>> country if those reports are true.
>
> Well, it's not as if anyone was going to hand him a machine gun and tell
> him to go out and kill Muslims. He was a psychiatrist, for gawdsakes -
> and rather unlikely to see anything at all which even resembled combat.
>
> I mean, "Hawkeye" Pierce was not exactly a gung ho supporter of either
> the war or the Army but still managed to function more than adequately
> as an Army Surgeon.

Wow, what a glaring indication that you live in a fantasy world. Maybe
you can get Obama
to hire the writers of "MASH" and have them rewrite the Fort Hood
massacre so that everyone gets along and the dead come back to life.
Shitzie, you are more fucked up than Nancy Peosi. Almost. You are
delusional.

The Wiz

hal lillywhite wrote:
> On Nov 8, 9:21 pm, Bill Shatzer <ww...@NOcornell.edu> wrote:
>> hal lillywhite wrote:
>
>> The universe of mass shooters is sufficiently small (compared to the
>> overall population) that no group or personality type can be said to be
>> "likely" to go postal.
>
> True. The danger of blaming loners is that you end up mistreating
> lots of people who just are not extroverts and who are quite good
> citizens.
>
>> Still, "quiet loners" seem to be involved in an
>> inordinate number of these "stranger to stranger" mass shootings.
>
> True but the probability of any given loner going postal is extremely
> low. No need to suspect someone just cause he's a loner.
>
>>> More significant red flags would be the
>>> reports that he was expressing great sympathy with the terrorists and
>>> severe disagreement with the US going after them.
>> I suspect that's more just another symptom of the "quiet loner" syndrome.
>
> Huh? How many quiet loners preach against their country? And latest
> information is that he was attempting to contact al Qaeda - and that
> our intelligence people knew it but did not inform the army.
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/fort-hood-shooter-contact-al-qaeda-terrorists-officials/story?...
>
> I find it inexcusable that such potentially important information
> would not be communicated to those who needed it.
>
>>> Seems a bit much to
>>> expect someone with those beliefs to work for the defense of his
>>> country if those reports are true.
>> Well, it's not as if anyone was going to hand him a machine gun and tell
>> him to go out and kill Muslims. He was a psychiatrist, for gawdsakes -
>> and rather unlikely to see anything at all which even resembled combat.
>
> Huh? His job involved helping keep soldiers morale up and helping them
> stay focused on their job. He would be in a position to encourage
> soldiers either to be good soldiers or to work against the cause they
> are fighting for, even to order many sent home. Plus why would you
> want to pay anyone to go into a combat zone if they want your side to
> lose?
>
>> I mean, "Hawkeye" Pierce was not exactly a gung ho supporter of either
>> the war or the Army but still managed to function more than adequately
>> as an Army Surgeon.
>
> Say what? Hawkeye Pierce never did anything because he never
> existed. Fantasy is fantasy.

Shitzer lives in a fantasy world, along with Kaufman, and McAfee. They
wear pink Spandex and pick flower pedals to press in the Koran.