curiousdotnet

9/13/2007 5:48:00 AM

I've got a managed dll that does certain remote operations and a client app.
They are both written in c#. How do I implement a callback method in the
client app for the dll to call when the remote ops state changes. Does it
involve using delegates on the client app? And how to do the same if the
client app is an unmanaged vb6 app?

Thanks.

2 Answers

(Mattias Sjögren)

>Does it involve using delegates on the client app?

You can use delegates (by themselves or as events) or an interface,
depending on the granularity you want.

>And how to do the same if the
>client app is an unmanaged vb6 app?

Then it's probably easier to use a (COM) interface.

Mattias

--
Mattias Sjögren [C# MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
http://www.msjogren.n... | http://www.dotneti...

curiousdotnet

Hi Mattias,

Thanks for your response.

Could you point me at an example of using event delegate to initial
callbacks from a managed dll to a method in a client C# app? And why would a
COM interface make VB6 app easier as a callback target?

Thanks.