Jimmy Hoffa

8/27/2007 3:38:00 PM

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me with my COM/.NET interop problems...

My situation is that I write code using an old WIN16 based Application which
as far as COM is concerned can only operate with Active X In-Process
servers. Therefore whenever I need to write a new bit of functionality or
component that I cant do using the Win16 App I would always create an
ActiveX Executable project in VB 6 and then my Win16 app can happily access
exposed functionality without problem.

What I'm wondering is whether there are other folk out there in the same
situation as me, using legacy products but wanting to also include more
advance components using .NET and have been able to do so. And if so.. How
they did it..

Thanks,

2 Answers

Doug Semler

"Jimmy Hoffa" <jimmy@dbws.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Hoping someone can help me with my COM/.NET interop problems...
>
> My situation is that I write code using an old WIN16 based Application
> which as far as COM is concerned can only operate with Active X In-Process
> servers. Therefore whenever I need to write a new bit of functionality or
> component that I cant do using the Win16 App I would always create an
> ActiveX Executable project in VB 6 and then my Win16 app can happily
> access exposed functionality without problem.
>
> What I'm wondering is whether there are other folk out there in the same
> situation as me, using legacy products but wanting to also include more
> advance components using .NET and have been able to do so. And if so..
> How they did it..

Do any of the new (XP/Vista) OS even *HAVE* a virtual 16 bit process
capability any more???

AFAIK, .NET components can only be accessed as Inproc libraries from
CCWs...If you really wanted to do this, you would probably have to make the
ActiveX server talk to your .NET objects through COM libraries (if it's
possible..). In other words, have the ActiveX server become a passthrough
to a .NET library that exposes COM objects.

This, IMO is getting into the "is it better to keep supporting the old app
or is it finally time to spend the money port it to at least Win32?"

--
Doug Semler, MCPD
a.a. #705, BAAWA. EAC Guardian of the Horn of the IPU (pbuhh).

beverly drummond

yes