Chris Davoli

8/20/2007 7:46:00 PM

I'm trying to just learn how to call a COM component from a .Net application.
I am using visual studio 2005. Is there some sort of step by step tutorial or
book or something that somone can suggest. I'm real confused on how to do
this and just googleing does not get me a real good clear answer.

Anybody out there to help me?

--
Chris Davoli

3 Answers

Phill W.

Chris Davoli wrote:

> I'm trying to just learn how to call a COM component from a .Net application.

At its /most/ simple, add a reference to the COM component; Visual
Studio will create you an InterOp Assembly (local to your current
project) that allows you to call the methods on the COM object and wires
up any necessary data type conversions and the like.

Beyond that, you're looking at the "tlbimp" utility (if you need to put
/your/ Assemblies into the Global Assembly Cache then you'll need tlbimp
to "Strongly Name" the generated InterOp Assembly).

And, if you're playing with automating MS Office then you'll need to
read up on its "Primary InterOp Assemblies".

HTH,
Phill W.

Chris Davoli

Thanks Phil.

So what your saying, if I want to just call the com component, just adding a
reference to it in the local project without GAC'ing it, will do it. Is that
true? Sounds pretty easy.

--
Chris Davoli

"Phill W." wrote:

> Chris Davoli wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to just learn how to call a COM component from a .Net application.
>
> At its /most/ simple, add a reference to the COM component; Visual
> Studio will create you an InterOp Assembly (local to your current
> project) that allows you to call the methods on the COM object and wires
> up any necessary data type conversions and the like.
>
> Beyond that, you're looking at the "tlbimp" utility (if you need to put
> /your/ Assemblies into the Global Assembly Cache then you'll need tlbimp
> to "Strongly Name" the generated InterOp Assembly).
>
> And, if you're playing with automating MS Office then you'll need to
> read up on its "Primary InterOp Assemblies".
>
> HTH,
> Phill W.

Phill W.

Chris Davoli wrote:

> So what your saying, if I want to just call the com component, just adding a
> reference to it in the local project without GAC'ing it, will do it.

Yes.

> Is that true?

It's certainly worked for me in the past.
Mind you, I tend to work with components that are reused machine-wide,
so I end up putting things into the GAC anyway.

> Sounds pretty easy.

Of /course/ it is - this is Visual Studio :-)

I does all /sorts/ of "Good Things" for you, without you even having to
know what they are... Yeah; right! ;-)

Regards,
Phill W.