microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Updating assemblies in Program Files

Søren D

4/26/2010 8:08:00 PM

I have been investigating how I could build a "Get latest version" feature
to the software I relase.

The challenge is the limited rights to update .exe and .dll's in the Program
Files folder.

I have read that a solution could be to serialize the new assemblies to a
safe location and then use a small program with

requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" />

set in the assemblyinfo which should cause UAC to be activated and thus when
the user has accepted to elevate to admin, this program should be allowed to
overwrite .exe files and .dll files in Program Files dir.

Is this correct and will enabling this under a .NET 2.0 Windows Forms
application have any sideeffects regarding Windows XP etc?

All inputs are most welcomed

Best regards
Soeren Dalby