microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Custom action that fails prevents application to be uninstalled

Marcus

3/21/2010 5:02:00 PM

I have made an exe file that is run as a custom action during
uninstallation of my application. The custom action exe throws an
exception though and forces the uninstallation to do a rollback. Now I
can not uninstall my application and fix my faulty custom action!

Is there a way of uninstalling my application anyway, despite that the
Custom action crashes, causing a rollback of the uninstall?

1 Answer

Wilson, Phil

If you can fix your custom action and build another setup (don't change
ProductCode, Version, UpgradeCode or anything) then try this:

msiexec /i <path to msi> REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

and they are case sensitive. This is an update by reinstalling the MSI file.

--
Phil Wilson
The Definitive Guide to Windows Installer