microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Installing device drivers as part of VS2008 setup application

Peter O'Reilly

2/8/2010 12:27:00 PM

A colleague in another department has produced device drivers for some USB
devices that I need to communicate with in my VS2008 .Net application, and
I'm looking to simplify the installation experience for our users. Currently
I just put the driver files onto the CD in a folder, and the Windows Add
Hardware Wizard will usually take them through the process. What I would
like to do though, is to include the driver files in the installation
package, and if possible automatically configure the drivers without the
user having to use the Add Hardware Wizard.
As a first step, is there a standard folder that I can copy the files to,
where they will automatically be picked up by the hardware wizard?
Secondly is there any way that I can install the drivers from my .Net
application, so the users won't need to go through the wizard each time they
add a new device?
TIA
Phil.

2 Answers

Wilson, Phil

You could look at DiFx:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/install/DI...

--
Phil Wilson
The Definitive Guide to Windows Installer

"Phil" <p> wrote in message
>A colleague in another department has produced device drivers for some USB
>devices that I need to communicate with in my VS2008 .Net application, and
>I'm looking to simplify the installation experience for our users.
>Currently I just put the driver files onto the CD in a folder, and the
>Windows Add Hardware Wizard will usually take them through the process.
>What I would like to do though, is to include the driver files in the
>installation package, and if possible automatically configure the drivers
>without the user having to use the Add Hardware Wizard.
> As a first step, is there a standard folder that I can copy the files to,
> where they will automatically be picked up by the hardware wizard?
> Secondly is there any way that I can install the drivers from my .Net
> application, so the users won't need to go through the wizard each time
> they add a new device?
> TIA
> Phil.

Peter O'Reilly