microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Where are the framework files?

cr113

11/30/2009 5:40:00 PM

Does anyone know where the installed framework files are located on
your computer? Are they all in one folder? I need to try to get a
windows app (vb.net) to work by copying all necessary files into one
local folder. I don't want to install the framework due to security
issues.
6 Answers

PvdG42

"cr113" <cr113@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know where the installed framework files are located on
> your computer? Are they all in one folder? I need to try to get a
> windows app (vb.net) to work by copying all necessary files into one
> local folder. I don't want to install the framework due to security
> issues.

<OS Drive>\Windows\Microsoft.NET in various subfolders.

I doubt your proposed technique will work, however, as installing the
framework probably also creates needed registry entries.

What security issues?

cr113

On Nov 30, 12:02 pm, "PvdG42" <pvd...@toadstool.edu> wrote:
> "cr113" <cr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Does anyone know where the installed framework files are located on
> > your computer? Are they all in one folder? I need to try to get a
> > windows app (vb.net) to work by copying all necessary files into one
> > local folder. I don't want to install the framework due to security
> > issues.
>
> <OS Drive>\Windows\Microsoft.NET in various subfolders.
>
> I doubt your proposed technique will work, however, as installing the
> framework probably also creates needed registry entries.
>
> What security issues?

These are military computers and I doubt if they will let me modify
the registry. Even if I could I'm not going to take the chance of
screwing up the operating system.

I thought you didn't need to register the dlls if they were in the
same folder as the exe? If I can't do a non-invasive install I'm going
to have to do this project in Access (yuch).

Wilson, Phil

Exactly what are you worried about here? Your original post was about
installing the .NET Framework, and that creates registry entries as well as
install the support framework for managed code. If these military computers
are never going to run any managed code then you should not have gone down
the .NET path in the first place. However your follow-up question is about
registering your Dlls. Sometimes people use that word in a COM sense, other
times meaning ":nstall into the GAC", so it would help to be a bit more
precise about what your Dlls do. So what is the issue? Is it your Dlls?
Installing the .NET framework? Both? And do you or the military believe that
installing the .NET Framework (or registering your Dlls) will screw up the
OS?
--
Phil Wilson
The Definitive Guide to Windows Installer

On Dec 2, 12:48 pm, "Wilson, Phil" <ph...@wonderware.nospam.com>
wrote:

> Exactly what are you worried about here? Your original post was about
> installing the .NET Framework, and that creates registry entries as well as
> install the support framework for managed code. If these military computers
> are never going to run any managed code then you should not have gone down
> the .NET path in the first place. However your follow-up question is about
> registering your Dlls. Sometimes people use that word in a COM sense, other
> times meaning ":nstall into the GAC", so it would help to be a bit more
> precise about what your Dlls do. So what is the issue? Is it your Dlls?
> Installing the .NET framework? Both? And do you or the military believe that
> installing the .NET Framework (or registering your Dlls) will screw up the
> OS?
> --
> Phil Wilson
> The Definitive Guide to Windows Installerhttp://www.apress.com/book/view/...

I don't want to install the framework. I want to find out if there is
a way to run a .NET program without installing the framework or
writing to the registry. Either writing to the registry or copying
files to any common folders means you run the risk of screwing up the
computer. Not good in this case! The only way I'm going to use a .NET
windows app is if I can copy all the dependencies and the exe into one
folder that I create. That's what I mean by non-invasive. I'm not at
my work computer but there is a place where .NET lists all the
dependencies. I was hoping that if I copy all of them into the same
folder along with my exe it would work. But I'm not sure. I don't
understand how the code management factors into this.

I've been trying to decide what tool to use to do this project.
Basically there are a bunch of existing Access tables and all I need
to do is display and summarize the data. Lots of charts and graphs. I
don't have to worry about writing data to the tables. I started off
using .NET, switched to Access, and I'm now using Excel. So far I like
Excel, it "flows" a lot better than Access and is less "threatening"
than an exe. Excel is more like a real development environment than
Access for some reason. Plus it appears that in Access you can't get
rid of the main "Access" window. It just sits there behind whichever
form you are displaying. Looks like crap.

Any advice is appreciated!

wrote:
> Exactly what are you worried about here? Your original post was about
> installing the .NET Framework, and that creates registry entries as well as
> install the support framework for managed code. If these military computers
> are never going to run any managed code then you should not have gone down
> the .NET path in the first place. However your follow-up question is about
> registering your Dlls. Sometimes people use that word in a COM sense, other
> times meaning ":nstall into the GAC", so it would help to be a bit more
> precise about what your Dlls do. So what is the issue? Is it your Dlls?
> Installing the .NET framework? Both? And do you or the military believe that
> installing the .NET Framework (or registering your Dlls) will screw up the
> OS?

Damn. I'm back to VB.NET. I tried Access, didn't like it. I tried
Excel, it was better but it still has issues.

Question. I still don't want to copy any files to common folders such
as Windows/System32 and I don't want to write to the registry. As long
as they have the proper Framework installed I should be OK, right?
What I'm thinking is I can get them to install the framework if they
don't have it. That limits my liability. What's the most "graceful"
way to check to see what framework they have installed? Can I get
my .NET exe to check first for the framework version to make sure it
can run?

Wilson, Phil

You don't have to write to those folders if you don't want to, that's your
choice in whatever tool you may use to build a setup. If it's a simple .NET
app just put it all the Program Files folder.

There's this kind of thing, depending on the FW version you're using.

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/20/updated-sample-code-to-detect-the-net-framewor...