microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

dotnetfx3setup.exe quite mode quietly installs absolutely nothing

WB

3/14/2009 1:02:00 AM

I've run the following command on many different systems:

dotnetfx3setup.exe /q /norestart

The installation runs in the background (for about 10 minutes). Afterwards,
..NET 3.0 is not listed in Add/Remove programs, and there is no
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\3.0 folder.

I finally found the installation log file. It lists two errors. The first is
"Error code: -2147012867 Description: A connection with the server could not
be established"

What server? We need to run this on isolated systems that do not have
Internet access.

The final error is: Setup.exe: SETUP EXIT CODE - 1602

This installation is on a completely fresh OS (we use unattended install).
However I am installing .NET 1.1 and 2.0.50727 before installing 3.0. I tried
uninstalling 2.0, then re-installing 3.0 with the same command-line, with the
same results.

If I run the installation manually (no command-line switches) it works fine
(which would seem to eliminate the requirement for Internet access). Sure
seems like a bug with the quiet mode option of the installer.

Thanks,
--
Bill Baker
3 Answers

..

You most likely downloaded and use the bootstrapper file,
which requires an Internet connection. This small bootstrapper
file "dotnetfx3setup.exe" can easily be identified as it is only
about 2.8MB in size.

What you need is the "Full" redistributable:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=10cc340b-f857-4a14-83f5-25634c3bf043&disp...

Scroll down the web page to the section titled: Instructions
There you will find a link to download the x86_redist_package
This is the file you want, it's about 50.3MB in size.

--
JS
http://www.pag...

"WB" <WB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've run the following command on many different systems:
>
> dotnetfx3setup.exe /q /norestart
>
> The installation runs in the background (for about 10 minutes).
> Afterwards,
> .NET 3.0 is not listed in Add/Remove programs, and there is no
> C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\3.0 folder.
>
> I finally found the installation log file. It lists two errors. The first
> is
> "Error code: -2147012867 Description: A connection with the server could
> not
> be established"
>
> What server? We need to run this on isolated systems that do not have
> Internet access.
>
> The final error is: Setup.exe: SETUP EXIT CODE - 1602
>
> This installation is on a completely fresh OS (we use unattended install).
> However I am installing .NET 1.1 and 2.0.50727 before installing 3.0. I
> tried
> uninstalling 2.0, then re-installing 3.0 with the same command-line, with
> the
> same results.
>
> If I run the installation manually (no command-line switches) it works
> fine
> (which would seem to eliminate the requirement for Internet access). Sure
> seems like a bug with the quiet mode option of the installer.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Bill Baker

WB

That was it! Thanks very much for the help.

--
Bill Baker

..

Glad I could help.