microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

.net framework 3.5 SP1 and family update (KB951847 X64

BP

2/28/2009 4:19:00 AM

I have a somewhat different problem with the installation of this product.
I had set my system for automatic updates. This update has been
successfully installed 14 times on my computer. I've gone to manual
updates, but Windows updater still reports this as a needed important
update. Anyone have any ideas why Updater doesn't recognize this as an
installed program and what the cure may be? I haven't found anything
Googling it, but may have used the wrong search terms.

I have the 64 bit version of Vista Home Premium on my computer if that
makes a difference.

Again, I'd really appreciate any assistance.
6 Answers

Slok

Yes me and many other people have the same problem, it tries to install the
update and then just fails, would be nice to give a solution or something, I
would really appreciate it since it has been trying to install it in vane for
around 2 months now.

Slok

Slok

Hmm Correcting myself , it installs , and then when it asks for restart it
installs it and when we login again it says it failed.

Slok

BP

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:12:11 -0700, Slok wrote:

> Hmm Correcting myself , it installs , and then when it asks for restart it
> installs it and when we login again it says it failed.
>
> Slok

Slok - I ended up having discussions with several levels of MS support.
Some suggestions were contradictory but, other than the time it took, I was
pleased with them. (I appreciate this sounds absurd after talking about the
time it took and inconsistent advise,but the problem wasn't mission
critical, and I can understand the inconstant advice since I dealt with
different people at different levels of expertise with differing abilities
with English.) Ultimately I reinstalled Vista - I think they called it an
upgrade installation - and all is working. In fact other minor problems
were resolved.

I had a problem with another update being installed and reinstalled. The
installation history said it was successfully installed, so I "told" the
update program to ignore that update in the future. I wasn't hard to do,
but I've forgotten what and where I clicked to give that instruction. I
remember it was as easy as a right (or left?) click.

Good Luck, sorry I don't recall more about my solutions.

Flashpoint Gold

I use Windows XP for gaming and I have this problem. It keeps installing on
automatic updates, but never truly installs and when I try to download it on
Windows Update it keeps failing. I have some games that need .Net Framework
updated so this hurting a bit.

BP

Again, I ended up doing an "upgrade" install of, in my case, Vista.
Essentially I just reinstalled the OS over the existing OS and then
reinstalled installed all the updates. It was a PIA, but the system has
been working fine since then (knock on wood).

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 18:02:02 -0800, Flashpoint Gold wrote:

> I use Windows XP for gaming and I have this problem. It keeps installing on
> automatic updates, but never truly installs and when I try to download it on
> Windows Update it keeps failing. I have some games that need .Net Framework
> updated so this hurting a bit.

flexscan s1932