microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

NetFx setup claims i have no MSI

Arioch

12/30/2008 11:35:00 PM

I have some troubes with NetFx or MSI on XP 32bit.

Symptoms are that SP1 for both .Net installer v. 2.0, 3.0 fail to install,
be manually downloaded or via Windows Update.
It claimes that MSI 3.1 is not installed, but it is, and when i run MSI
3.1 installer is tells me it is not required on my PC.

So now i deinstalled al Frameworks and hoped they would be able to install
from scratch - nothing, they either tell me that MSI 3.1 is not installed
or, when i tried to install NetFx 3.0, it told
~~~~~
[12/31/08,02:08:42] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 x86: [2] Error code
5100 for this component means "aUEN"
[12/31/08,02:08:42] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 x86: [2] Component
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 x86 returned an unexpected value.
[12/31/08,02:08:42] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 x86: [2] Return from
system messaging: aUEN
[12/31/08,02:08:42] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework
2.0SP1 x86 is not installed.
~~~~~

Potential troubles were
1) instaling once MSI 4.5 beta
2) changing HDD, that made Windows change some drive letters, however that
was fixed after soem time of registry tweakign and i can see no traces of
old drive letters in registry

I need to run some .Net apps, that require .Net 2+
Reinstall Windows with al the applications and settings beeing done is a
kind of overkill.

I cannot force MSI 3.1 to install - i tells that this PC is already newer
than itself and quits.
MSI 4.5 was instaled - but does not help.

I tried to trace installing of MSI 3.1 with Process Monitor to see where i
can tweak it to misdetect version of MSI/XP-SP already installed and
reinstall itself - nothing helps.
I tried to trace installing of Dot Net installers with Process Monitor to
understand how it detects MSI version and why it falsely claims MSI is not
installed on the box - no clues.

So now i have installers of MSI, claiming that everthing is installed /
and installeers of DotNet, made on that very engine, caiming it is not
installed.

Please, help me to make them say the same, either way to reinstall MSI 3.1
or to make NetFx installers see installed MSI and not claim it is missed.

Perhaps this is better to go into NetFx instalers blog - if there only was
such a thing.

--
eO?IIOUOAOON OA?IIAAEIIIUE ?I?OI?UE EIEAIO AOAOUAOA Opera:
http://www.opera...

Arioch

That seems some kind fo installer script there is in baseine.dat text ini
file

And since NetFx 2.0 SP1 (NetFx 2.0 runs ok) every check with
VersionCheck=FileVersionCheck fails.
If to add their blocker flag - it wil fail on every file check. Strange.

That NetFx version was switch from old installer to new one.

NetFx 2.0:
runner - install.exe - Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 - External Installer
script - install.ini
localisation: eula.NNN.txt + install.res.NNN.dll

NetFx 2.0 SP1 and newer:
runner - setup.exe - Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2008 - Suite Integration
Toolkit Executable
script - baseline.dat + deffactory.dat
localisation: eula.NNN.RTF + setup.res.NNN.dll + WAP.res.NNN.dll +
locdata.NNN.ini

Hard to say, if the FileVersionCheck was within VS2005 installer, and was
it updated or created for VS2008 installer. However, it fails. I wonder if
its sources are known.

--
Ð?сполÑ?зÑ?еÑ?ся Ñ?еволÑ?Ñ?ионнÑ?й поÑ?Ñ?овÑ?й клиенÑ? бÑ?аÑ?зеÑ?а Opera:
http://www.opera...