microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Silent/unattended install

MacDermott

5/27/2008 11:50:00 PM

Pretty much of a newbie here - please bear with me.
I've done some .NET development before, but this is my first time out
with a Setup Project.

I've written a .NET component with a COM interface, and need to install it
in an unattended mode.
I've created a SetupProject as part of my .NET Solution, but haven't figured
out how to suppress the UI.
Is there a property I can set somewhere? A switch I can use when I call
Setup.exe? An entry in Setup.ini?
Something else I should/could be thinking about?

BTW - I'm still working in 1.1, but could move to 2.0 if that would make an
important difference. Or 3.0?

TIA!

1 Answer

Phil Wilson

Setup Projects are just a tool to build an MSI file (like WiX, Wise,
InstallShield etc) and MSI files have nothing to do with .NET versions.

Start with an msiexec command line, such as msiexec /i <path to msi file>
/qn for a silent install. Prerequisites might be an issue because setup.exe
installs them and then starts the MSI, but I don't know of any support in
setup.exe for starting the MSI file with a silent install command line.

--
Phil Wilson
Definitive Guide to Windows Installer