microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Partial web setup - is it possible ?

João Maia

5/26/2008 1:31:00 PM

Hello there,

I'm developing a web setup for a web application using Visual Studio
2005, and I sometimes I need to do my setup partial, that is, I need
to select which aspx files I want to send in the setup. The reason for
this is that the first setup of my application needs to have all the
files because it will be deployed in a clean machine, but once the
application is running, if I want to do a deployment of another
version of the web app, I must be able to generate another setup with
just the aspx files that have changed instead of all the aspx's.

What I'm trying to do is this:

- Create an application where I can select which aspx files are to go
in the setup.
- This app will run before the web setup build (I have build events to
guarantee this).
- This app will move the files I don't want to go in the setup package
into a temp folder, so that the web setup will build the solution
without these files
- The web setup project is then built
- After the web setup project is built I need to move the unwanted
files back from the temp folder to their original folder.

I haven't really tried this yet, I admit it seems a bit far fetched,
but quite frankly I cannot see any other way to do it. Are there any
alternatives ?

Also, is there a way to run a build event after the web setup has
compiled and the msi has been generated ? I look for build events in
the project properties but I could not find anything.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joao Maia
2 Answers

João Maia

Hi again,

After some testing, it seems that my initial plan does not work. I do
delete the files, but when the setup project tries to compile, the
build is unsuccessful. I get the error "Unable to build project output
group 'Content files from <webapp>'", which actually makes sense
because some of the content files are no longer there.

Is there a workaround to this ? Can I say that I do not want some of
the files (mainly aspx and js) to go on the build ?

Thanks in advance,

Joao Maia

On 26 Maio, 14:31, João Maia <jm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm developing a web setup for a web application using Visual Studio
> 2005, and I sometimes I need to do my setup partial, that is, I need
> to select which aspx files I want to send in the setup. The reason for
> this is that the first setup of my application needs to have all the
> files because it will be deployed in a clean machine, but once the
> application is running, if I want to do a deployment of another
> version of the web app, I must be able to generate another setup with
> just the aspx files that have changed instead of all the aspx's.
>
> What I'm trying to do is this:
>
> - Create an application where I can select which aspx files are to go
> in the setup.
> - This app will run before the web setup build (I have build events to
> guarantee this).
> - This app will move the files I don't want to go in the setup package
> into a temp folder, so that the web setup will build the solution
> without these files
> - The web setup project is then built
> - After the web setup project is built I need to move the unwanted
> files back from the temp folder to their original folder.
>
> I haven't really tried this yet, I admit it seems a bit far fetched,
> but quite frankly I cannot see any other way to do it. Are there any
> alternatives ?
>
> Also, is there a way to run a build event after the web setup has
> compiled and the msi has been generated ? I look for build events in
> the project properties but I could not find anything.
>
> Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Joao Maia

João Maia

I found a way to do it ! By editing the .web.csproj and removing the
references to the files I want to delete, it works.

Thanks anyway,

Joao Maia