microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

Update - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

nntp

5/8/2010 6:40:00 PM

What is Happening?
This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

Why?
As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
and discontinue support for newsgroups.

In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/Micros...

Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

When will this Happen?
Effective June 1, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.

Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
Microsoft has a large selection of forums, many of which cover either the
same or closely related technologies to the ones found in the newsgroups.
The forums have seen amazing growth and are an excellent place to continue
the discussion. We recommend that you start with
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w...

Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/de...

Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
NNTP@microsoft.com

2 Answers

Nick Keighley

On 5 Nov, 12:29, phaedrus <orion.osi...@virgin.net> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 12:56 pm, bert <bert.hutchi...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> > No, I don't think that's right.  An array can't store data; the
> > data is stored in its individual ELEMENTS.  A struct can't store
> > data;

the struct declaration declares a type

> > the data is stored in its individual FIELDS.  The elements
> > of the array are referenced by their subscripts; the fields of
> > the struct are referenced by their names.  There's a difference,
> > but I think it's a much smaller difference than you think it is.
>
> OK, point taken. Let me clarify, then.
>
> The data in an array is stored in its elements.
> The data for a struct is stored in the member fields of a structure
> VARIABLE.
>
> Is that correct?

arrays are variables too...

There are types
int, struct S {float f}

there are declarations, which describe what something is but without
setting aside storage
extern int i;
extern int a[];
extern struct S s;

and there are definitions which set aside store
int i;
int a [10];
struct S s;

the slight confusion is that "naked" array types are hardly used (i'm
not even sure if they exist).

typedefs add an additional layer of confusing as despite their name
they don't define types but type aliases.

phaedrus

I've come across this in one of the online tutorials and it seems to
explain the concept better than anything else I've yet seen:

[begins...]
A structure is declared by making a blank template for a variable
package. This is most easily seen with the help of an example. The
following statement is actually a declaration, so it belongs with
other declarations, either at the head of a program or at the start of
a block.

struct PersonalData

{
char name[namesize];
char address[addresssize];
int YearOfBirth;
int MonthOfBirth;
int DayOfBirth;
};

This purpose of this statement is to create a model or template to
define what a variable of type struct PersonalData will look like. It
says: define a type of variable which collectively holds a string
called name, a string called address and three integers called
YearOfBirth, MonthOfBirth and DayOfBirth. Any variable which is
declared to be of type struct PersonalData will be collectively made
up of parts like these. The list of variable components which make up
the structure are called the members of the structure: the names of
the members are not the names of variables, but are a way of naming
the parts which make up a structure variable. (Note: a variable which
has been declared to be of type struct something is usually called
just a structure rather than a structure variable. The distinction is
maintained here in places where confusion might arise.) The names of
members are held separate from the names of other identifiers in C, so
it is quite possible to have variable names and struct member names
which are the same. Older compilers did not support this luxury.

At this stage, no storage has been given over to a variable, nor has
any variable been declared: only a type has been defined. Having
defined this type of structure, however, the programmer can declare
variables to be of this type. For example:

struct PersonalData x;

declares a variable called x to be of type struct PersonalData.