microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

ImageUrlEditor - why can't i find it?

SilentCry

5/1/2009 1:45:00 PM

i have this attribute assigned to the default property of my custom
control..

[UrlProperty("*.xml"),
EditorAttribute(typeof(ImageUrlEditor),typeof(UITypeEditor))]

got a compile error on ImageUrlEditor saying i may be missing a reference.
when i go into help, the documentation says ImageUrlEditor is part of the
System.Web.UI.Design namespace. i add that in a using stmt but now the
namespace isn't found either. ok, fine i'm missing a reference/dll. i go
into the object browser and do a search on System.Web.UI.Design where i find
it in System.Web.Extensions.Design.dll. i then add that guy as a reference
but i'm still getting errors on ImageUrlEditor (and UITypeEditor). what's
going on here? i got everything i need included either as a reference or a
using but still getting the errors.

i'm using VS 2008 and have the 3.5 framework.

5 Answers

Dan

Maybe because you are too busy cross-posting?

"SilentCry" <silentcryX@sbcglobalX.net> wrote in message
>i have this attribute assigned to the default property of my custom
>control..
>
> [UrlProperty("*.xml"),
> EditorAttribute(typeof(ImageUrlEditor),typeof(UITypeEditor))]
>
> got a compile error on ImageUrlEditor saying i may be missing a reference.
> when i go into help, the documentation says ImageUrlEditor is part of the
> System.Web.UI.Design namespace. i add that in a using stmt but now the
> namespace isn't found either. ok, fine i'm missing a reference/dll. i go
> into the object browser and do a search on System.Web.UI.Design where i
> find it in System.Web.Extensions.Design.dll. i then add that guy as a
> reference but i'm still getting errors on ImageUrlEditor (and
> UITypeEditor). what's going on here? i got everything i need included
> either as a reference or a using but still getting the errors.
>
> i'm using VS 2008 and have the 3.5 framework.

Dan

Replied in microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

"SilentCry" <silentcryX@sbcglobalX.net> wrote in message
>i have this attribute assigned to the default property of my custom
>control..
>
> [UrlProperty("*.xml"),
> EditorAttribute(typeof(ImageUrlEditor),typeof(UITypeEditor))]
>
> got a compile error on ImageUrlEditor saying i may be missing a reference.
> when i go into help, the documentation says ImageUrlEditor is part of the
> System.Web.UI.Design namespace. i add that in a using stmt but now the
> namespace isn't found either. ok, fine i'm missing a reference/dll. i go
> into the object browser and do a search on System.Web.UI.Design where i
> find it in System.Web.Extensions.Design.dll. i then add that guy as a
> reference but i'm still getting errors on ImageUrlEditor (and
> UITypeEditor). what's going on here? i got everything i need included
> either as a reference or a using but still getting the errors.
>
> i'm using VS 2008 and have the 3.5 framework.

SilentCry

so i guess you don't know the answer then eh? maybe you're too busy being a
jerk. in case you didn't notice, i refered to both namespaces and references
in the question - both of which are related to asp.net specifically. and
btw, you're reply went to all 3 ng's as well.

"dan" <dan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Replied in microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
>
> "SilentCry" <silentcryX@sbcglobalX.net> wrote in message
>>i have this attribute assigned to the default property of my custom
>>control..
>>
>> [UrlProperty("*.xml"),
>> EditorAttribute(typeof(ImageUrlEditor),typeof(UITypeEditor))]
>>
>> got a compile error on ImageUrlEditor saying i may be missing a
>> reference. when i go into help, the documentation says ImageUrlEditor is
>> part of the System.Web.UI.Design namespace. i add that in a using stmt
>> but now the namespace isn't found either. ok, fine i'm missing a
>> reference/dll. i go into the object browser and do a search on
>> System.Web.UI.Design where i find it in System.Web.Extensions.Design.dll.
>> i then add that guy as a reference but i'm still getting errors on
>> ImageUrlEditor (and UITypeEditor). what's going on here? i got everything
>> i need included either as a reference or a using but still getting the
>> errors.
>>
>> i'm using VS 2008 and have the 3.5 framework.

SilentCry

"SilentCry" <silentcryX@sbcglobalX.net> wrote in message
>i have this attribute assigned to the default property of my custom
>control..
>
> [UrlProperty("*.xml"),
> EditorAttribute(typeof(ImageUrlEditor),typeof(UITypeEditor))]
>
> got a compile error on ImageUrlEditor saying i may be missing a reference.
> when i go into help, the documentation says ImageUrlEditor is part of the
> System.Web.UI.Design namespace. i add that in a using stmt but now the
> namespace isn't found either. ok, fine i'm missing a reference/dll. i go
> into the object browser and do a search on System.Web.UI.Design where i
> find it in System.Web.Extensions.Design.dll. i then add that guy as a
> reference but i'm still getting errors on ImageUrlEditor (and
> UITypeEditor). what's going on here? i got everything i need included
> either as a reference or a using but still getting the errors.
>
> i'm using VS 2008 and have the 3.5 framework.

hey SC..
following your steps, it looks like the System.Web.UI.Design namespace is
actually in 2 different dll's: System.Design and
System.Web.Extensions.Design. ImageUrlEditor only exists in System.Design
which is why your still getting the error.

SilentCry

> "SilentCry" <silentcryX@sbcglobalX.net> wrote in message
>>i have this attribute assigned to the default property of my custom
>>control..
>>
>> [UrlProperty("*.xml"),
>> EditorAttribute(typeof(ImageUrlEditor),typeof(UITypeEditor))]
>>
>> got a compile error on ImageUrlEditor saying i may be missing a
>> reference. when i go into help, the documentation says ImageUrlEditor is
>> part of the System.Web.UI.Design namespace. i add that in a using stmt
>> but now the namespace isn't found either. ok, fine i'm missing a
>> reference/dll. i go into the object browser and do a search on
>> System.Web.UI.Design where i find it in System.Web.Extensions.Design.dll.
>> i then add that guy as a reference but i'm still getting errors on
>> ImageUrlEditor (and UITypeEditor). what's going on here? i got everything
>> i need included either as a reference or a using but still getting the
>> errors.
>>
>> i'm using VS 2008 and have the 3.5 framework.
>
> hey SC..
> following your steps, it looks like the System.Web.UI.Design namespace is
> actually in 2 different dll's: System.Design and
> System.Web.Extensions.Design. ImageUrlEditor only exists in System.Design
> which is why your still getting the error.
yeah, i figured it out soon after posting this. for some reason i honed in
on the Extensions dll and missed the other one. thanx.