Re: Heidi Klum on the Conan O'Brien show

kansan1225

11/19/2003 3:11:00 PM

From: nat1995@hotmail.com (learner)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.christian.east-orthodox
Subject: Re: Blessings to All at the Start of the Nativity Fast
Date: 19 Nov 2003 08:21:57 -0800

"YoungBeliever" <nospam@please.net> wrote in message news:<yZsub.1129$Ra4.740@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>...

> > > We would love to remember your loved ones and departed, however, the
> > > strict ordinances of the Church require that all remembered at the
> > > altar or in our prayers be of like faith, i.e. orthodox Christians.
> >
> > It is amazing how narrow and close-minded some people are! Jesus
> > prayed for those who persecuted and killed Him, yet the Orthodox
> > Church cannot pray for someone of another faith! Simply amazing.
>
> I'm not sure how this thread got to this point, but I can assure you this is
> not a definitive, exhaustive statement of Orthodox teaching on these
> matters.

This statement came from the end on an article by Sergius
Archimandrite posted by Al.

> Our priest has come into our home to pray a memorial for my
> mother-in-law, who was baptised as a Roman Catholic, and died a Southern
> Baptist. We are encouraged to pray for her often.

My statement was directed at the author of this piece, and not
Orthodoxy in general. The Orthodox pray for non-Orthodox in every
Liturgy when they pray for our country's leaders and armed forces. I
to have also witnessed memorials for non-Orthodox family members.

> Or course I can now expect a long thread debating praying for departed loved
> ones.
>
> sigh....

Well, this topic has been discussed many times in the past and I doubt
that anything new can be added to it. If one believes that there is a
purgatorial period/state after death, and that God can be influenced
by human petitions concerning the eternal fate of another person, then
prayer for the dead is useful. If one believes that the deceased is
judged, and that God cannot be swayed by human petitions, then prayer
for the dead is useless. It all depends on the assumptions that a
person holds going into the discussion.

Learner
1 Answer

Gregg L

"steve" <steve@steve.com> wrote in message
snipped

> Money may not buy happiness (and I emphasize "may"), but... it sure doesnt
snipped

Neither does poverty.
Gregg