Need advise on choosing port for remoting.

Dmitry Mukhin

11/5/2004 9:14:00 PM

Hi guys,

We developing and testing our client/server .Net remoting based
application. We have been doing that for few weeks and suddenly large
group of users experienced major slow down. We found that they use same
Internet provider. If we change our server port delays disappear.

My question is, what port number is better to use? I'm thinking about
something in 7031 - 7069 range.

What could be the cause of delays? We had a little chat with one of the
provider tech guys and they don't seem to do any filtering.

Do you think that changing port will help us in any way? Users have been
working with our application for quite a while without experiencing any
problems. If we change port could same happen in the future for another
port?

I really appreciate any input.

Thank you,
Dmitry.