Get by with a little help from my 'Friend' (Sensitive methods)??

Phil Jones

11/2/2004 3:52:00 AM

I'm just thinking through an approach when working with a published Remoting
server object that exposes methods that are sensitive.

I'm wondering - is it enough to have an assembly that contains both the
server and client object (signed with a Strong Name) and set the access
scope of the server method to Friend?

Would that do it for making sure other apps on the same network that know
about the server can't access that method - or are there other better
approaches to this issue.

Many thanks everyone!

===
Phil
(Auckland | Aotearoa)

2 Answers

Sam Santiago

You might want to check out this article that discusses role based security
for any time of application that runs on Windows 2003, including remoting:

Use Role-Based Security in Your Middle Tier .NET Apps with Authorization
Manager
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/11/Authorizati...

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Phil Jones" <phil_newsgroup@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm just thinking through an approach when working with a published
Remoting
> server object that exposes methods that are sensitive.
>

> I'm wondering - is it enough to have an assembly that contains both the
> server and client object (signed with a Strong Name) and set the access
> scope of the server method to Friend?
>

> Would that do it for making sure other apps on the same network that know
> about the server can't access that method - or are there other better
> approaches to this issue.
>

> Many thanks everyone!
>

> ===
> Phil
> (Auckland | Aotearoa)

Phil Jones

Thanks Sam - I've started reading through that article right now.

Appreciate the help