Best Practices around Remoting connection

Ken Foster

10/27/2004 12:27:00 PM

I built some remote services, a couple singletons and one single call. On the
client side I thought I'd save on connection latency by caching the remote
connection in a shared variable. Create it once, then use it as long as my
app was running, rather than take the hit on creating and destroying it. The
issues that one has with ADO connections staying open didn't seem to apply
here.

However when there is a lot of client requests, multiple threads, they back
up a little. I guess that one Remote proxy uses just one tcp socket
connection and things queue up. It works, but it seems to be slow.

As a fix I'm thinking of creating a pool of shared variables, but wanted to
see if there was a best practice around this. Am I mistaken about the
connection latency? If I create my remote service connection each time I want
to use it (which is many many times per minute across multiple threads), will
I get the performance I need/want? Is there a best practice guidance around
connections in .NET Remoting?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
-Ken