SOAP Formatter vs. Binary Formatter over HTTPChannel

Hagay Lupesko

HTTP Channel uses SOAP formatter by default.
A short examination revealed that using the binary formatter might be more
efficient since data is encoded more efficiently.

Since Microsoft itself admits that for true interoperability one should use
WebServices, what is the motivation for using SOAP encoding anyway, and why
is that the default formatter?

Thanks, Hagay.

2 Answers

Ken Kolda

I think that SOAP was used as the default because Microsoft assumed that if
you were using HTTP to access your object, you may wnt to use it as a web
service instead of just via remoting. That said, my opinion is that web
services and remoting are two different technologies for two different
purposes, so you should build for one or the other and not try to combine
the two. Here's an article from MSDN that discusses using remoting objects
as web services and the inherent issues with doing so:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnbda/html/bdadotnet...

From a purely remoting perspective, I'd always use the binary formatter
since it's performance is better. The only advantage to SOAP is that, if you
use a packet sniffer, you can read what goes across the line, which can help
with debugging.

Ken

"Hagay Lupesko" <hagayl@nice.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> HTTP Channel uses SOAP formatter by default.
> A short examination revealed that using the binary formatter might be more
> efficient since data is encoded more efficiently.
>
> Since Microsoft itself admits that for true interoperability one should
use
> WebServices, what is the motivation for using SOAP encoding anyway, and
why
> is that the default formatter?
>
> Thanks, Hagay.

Massuda

Hagay Lupesko wrote:

> HTTP Channel uses SOAP formatter by default.
> A short examination revealed that using the binary formatter might be
> more efficient since data is encoded more efficiently.
>
> Since Microsoft itself admits that for true interoperability one
> should use WebServices, what is the motivation for using SOAP
> encoding anyway, and why is that the default formatter?

I think that SOAP encoding is portable and the binary encoding is not.

Massuda