IGor

10/25/2004 1:11:00 PM

I'm using .Net Remoting and hosting my server in Windows Service process.
I have around 300 clients which communicate with the server.
There are situations during high load on the server that I got an Out of
memory exception and server simply stops responding. Clients could not get
any response.
In that situation I need to restart service in order to things start
functioning.
High load is usually because clients are taking large datasets from the
server. Of course thy are doing that all in the same time.

Questions:
1. Does anyone has experience with this kind of problem?
2. Should I move my server to the IIS (at least because automatic recycling
in IIS)

Thanks,
Igor.
3 Answers

Sam Santiago

I would suggest getting familiar with a CLR Profiling tool. Microsoft
provides a free one. Read this article and follow the download link:

How To: Use CLR Profiler
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scaleneth...

You might want to check the leases on your remote objects to determine how
long they will hang around after you have created them:

Managing the Lifetime of Remote .NET Objects with Leasing and Sponsorship
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/12/LeaseManager/de...

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Igor Anic" <ianic@inet.hr> wrote in message
> I'm using .Net Remoting and hosting my server in Windows Service process.
> I have around 300 clients which communicate with the server.
> There are situations during high load on the server that I got an Out of
> memory exception and server simply stops responding. Clients could not get
> any response.
> In that situation I need to restart service in order to things start
> functioning.
> High load is usually because clients are taking large datasets from the
> server. Of course thy are doing that all in the same time.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Does anyone has experience with this kind of problem?
> 2. Should I move my server to the IIS (at least because automatic
recycling
> in IIS)
>
> Thanks,
> Igor.

Eric Twietmeyer

I recently came across this page:

http://www.genuinechannels.com/Content.aspx?id=88&...

which claims that there is a huge memory leak in the .NET 1.1 Framework
associated with the server, if you are using config files.

Does anyone know if this is really the case? It seems like an incredibly
big problem if true. And yet the OP may perhaps be getting bit by this.

If this leak does exist, does anyone know if there is a hotfix from MS that
deals with it? Or was it resolved in SP1? I don't know the details, I
simply was browsing when I came across this article and thought it
surprising.

-Eric Twietmeyer

"Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in message
> I would suggest getting familiar with a CLR Profiling tool. Microsoft
> provides a free one. Read this article and follow the download link:
>
> How To: Use CLR Profiler

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scaleneth...

> You might want to check the leases on your remote objects to determine how
> long they will hang around after you have created them:
>
> Managing the Lifetime of Remote .NET Objects with Leasing and Sponsorship
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/12/LeaseManager/de...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>

> --
> _______________________________
> Sam Santiago
> ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
> http://www.SoftiTe...
> _______________________________
> "Igor Anic" <ianic@inet.hr> wrote in message
> > I'm using .Net Remoting and hosting my server in Windows Service
process.
> > I have around 300 clients which communicate with the server.
> > There are situations during high load on the server that I got an Out of
> > memory exception and server simply stops responding. Clients could not
get
> > any response.
> > In that situation I need to restart service in order to things start
> > functioning.
> > High load is usually because clients are taking large datasets from the
> > server. Of course thy are doing that all in the same time.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1. Does anyone has experience with this kind of problem?
> > 2. Should I move my server to the IIS (at least because automatic
> recycling
> > in IIS)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Igor.

Igor Anic

Eric Twietmeyer wrote:
> I recently came across this page:
>
> http://www.genuinechannels.com/Content.aspx?id=88&...
>
> which claims that there is a huge memory leak in the .NET 1.1 Framework
> associated with the server, if you are using config files.
>
> Does anyone know if this is really the case? It seems like an incredibly
> big problem if true. And yet the OP may perhaps be getting bit by this.
>
> If this leak does exist, does anyone know if there is a hotfix from MS that
> deals with it? Or was it resolved in SP1? I don't know the details, I
> simply was browsing when I came across this article and thought it
> surprising.
>
> -Eric Twietmeyer
>
> "Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in message
>
>>I would suggest getting familiar with a CLR Profiling tool. Microsoft
>>provides a free one. Read this article and follow the download link:
>>
>>How To: Use CLR Profiler
>>

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scaleneth...
>
>>You might want to check the leases on your remote objects to determine how
>>long they will hang around after you have created them:
>>
>>Managing the Lifetime of Remote .NET Objects with Leasing and Sponsorship
>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/12/LeaseManager/de...
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Sam
>>

>>--
>>_______________________________
>>Sam Santiago
>>ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
>>http://www.SoftiTe...
>>_______________________________
>>"Igor Anic" <ianic@inet.hr> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm using .Net Remoting and hosting my server in Windows Service
>
> process.
>
>>>I have around 300 clients which communicate with the server.
>>>There are situations during high load on the server that I got an Out of
>>>memory exception and server simply stops responding. Clients could not
>
> get
>
>>>any response.
>>>In that situation I need to restart service in order to things start
>>>functioning.
>>>High load is usually because clients are taking large datasets from the
>>>server. Of course thy are doing that all in the same time.
>>>
>>>Questions:
>>>1. Does anyone has experience with this kind of problem?
>>>2. Should I move my server to the IIS (at least because automatic
>>
>>recycling
>>
>>>in IIS)
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Igor.

It seams that changing apartment model to MTATHREAD solves this problem.
Igor