Building ASP .NET User interface for a Windows Service through remoting

markoueis

10/21/2004 4:13:00 PM

Our company develops an application that recieves data from web
services. As the data comes in, the application needs to anylize the
data and take a wide range of actions on this data. The application
also needs to store the information in a database and display it to
the user in forms of graphs grids and etc.

The WebServices are implemented through ASP .NET. The user interface
is also ASP .NET. The database is SQL.

The only thing that is a bit tricky is we have a Windows Service that
maintains the data and does the calculations. Also data has to be
analyzed in real time. So the way we have this implemented is all data
that comes in to the ASP .NET WebService is forwarded to the Windows
Service through remoting. The Windows Service does what it wants to do
with the data and then writes it to the database.

The ASP .NET user interface also interacts with the windows service
through remoting. It needs to do so to configure it.

Finally my question is that i'm not sure this is the most efficient
way to go. Is there anything wrong with this structure.

I'm also thinking of make the ASP .NET User interface get everything
from the windows service and not from the database (Except maybe crazy
long lists of data). This would take some strain off of an already
strained database. Since the windows service has most of the dynamic
data in memory, would it better for my User interface to get this data
through remoting? Or should i just stick to getting info from the
database? Basically i would create a User interface for the windows
service.

Thanks

Mark
3 Answers

markoueis

When something like this doesn't get answered, is it because:

1) Nobody has the time
2) It takes time before someone realizes its there
3) Nobody cares enough to answer it
4) It got "mis-posted" some how

Sometimes my posts get answered within a few hours, and another times
they NEVER get answered. What's the usual criteria so that i can "post
better"?

Mark

Ken Kolda

Generally I'd say that questions that are very specific and have specific
answers will get the fastest response. Architecture questions such as the
one you asked requires a lot more to get a useful response. In particular,
it's hard when the system has a number of moving parts and you're asked to
make a judgement of what's a "good" implementation when you know you don't
have 100% knowledge of the system or requirements.

Now, in response to your original post, having the UI interact with the
Windows Service for all data definitely has its advantages. It completely
encapsulates the data access logic in your service, so you can choose what
to optimize through caching, how best to lock data, etc.

The disadvantage, as you noted, is the decreased performance of passing data
across the wire twice. I think the answer will depend on how
performance-contrained your system is. If performance is a top concern, I'd
say go to SQL directly unless the service has the data in a format/cache
that makes it especially accessible/searchable/etc. I'd say it's a safe
assumption that unless your service provides a significant performance boost
in some manner, using SQL directly will give the best results.

Ken

"Mark Oueis" <markoueis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When something like this doesn't get answered, is it because:
>
> 1) Nobody has the time
> 2) It takes time before someone realizes its there
> 3) Nobody cares enough to answer it
> 4) It got "mis-posted" some how
>
> Sometimes my posts get answered within a few hours, and another times
> they NEVER get answered. What's the usual criteria so that i can "post
> better"?
>
> Mark

Robert Jordan

Hi Mark,

> Sometimes my posts get answered within a few hours, and another times
> they NEVER get answered. What's the usual criteria so that i can "post
> better"?

Be terse ;-)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/arc...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/arc...application/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/AppArchCh2.asp