Frank Mamone

10/19/2004 2:31:00 PM

I am studying remoting and I have a question.

In the examples in the book I am using, when creating a client that uses a
remote object, the object is added as a reference like this:

using System.Runtime.Remoting;
using System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels;
using System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp;
using Example4_1; // << HEREThat is no problem on my development machine. My
question is what would I do in a real world application?Would I need to copy
the DLL to my project? Or would I have to add a reference to a remote server
using a UNC path or something else?Thanks,Frank Mamone

3 Answers

Sam Santiago

Check out this link, step #5 answers your question:

Basic Remoting Task List
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconBasicRemotingTa...

Yes, you can deploy the server assembly with your client. You can also
define an interface that is in its own assembly and deploy this interface
with both the client and the server if you did not want to deploy your
server assembly to your clients.

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Frank Mamone" <frankmnospam@canada.com> wrote in message
> I am studying remoting and I have a question.
>
> In the examples in the book I am using, when creating a client that uses a
> remote object, the object is added as a reference like this:
>

> using System.Runtime.Remoting;
> using System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels;
> using System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp;
> using Example4_1; // << HEREThat is no problem on my development machine.
My
> question is what would I do in a real world application?Would I need to
copy
> the DLL to my project? Or would I have to add a reference to a remote
server
> using a UNC path or something else?Thanks,Frank Mamone

Ken Kolda

Yes, when you deploy your client you will need to include this assembly. If
your concern is that you don't want to deploy your server assembly onto your
client machines (a very valid convern), then you should look at
interface-based remoting if you haven't already. This allows you to have a
shared assembly that contains the interface definitions only for your
remoted server objects. Client deployments would include this assembly
without any of the actual implementation code for the objects.

For more on interface-based remoting, check out:

http://www.genuinechannels.com/Content.aspx?id=28&...

Good luck -
Ken

"Frank Mamone" <frankmnospam@canada.com> wrote in message
> I am studying remoting and I have a question.
>
> In the examples in the book I am using, when creating a client that uses a
> remote object, the object is added as a reference like this:
>

> using System.Runtime.Remoting;
> using System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels;
> using System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp;
> using Example4_1; // << HEREThat is no problem on my development machine.
My
> question is what would I do in a real world application?Would I need to
copy
> the DLL to my project? Or would I have to add a reference to a remote
server
> using a UNC path or something else?Thanks,Frank Mamone

Frank Mamone

Thanks guys. I'll check out these links.

- Frank