configuring the max number of clients

news.microsoft.com

how do I configure the max amount of clients that may connect ?

PS: I am using http channel.

Thanks,
Cooly.

3 Answers

Ken Kolda

As far as I know, there is no such setting in remoting or in IIS. Even if
there were, you may run into trouble with your definition of "max amount of
clients". Keep in mind that both HTTP and remoting in general are
connectionless. The server doesn't have a clue if/when a particular client
will ever connect again for additional information. If you simply want to
throttle the number of concurrent connections, then the question is why? IIS
will handle queuing for you automatically. I guess if you really wanted to
throttle this, you could drop the number of IIS worker threads and/or the
max queue size, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a complete
understanding of what you're doing and why.

Ken

"news.microsoft.com" <cooly@itay.homeip.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> how do I configure the max amount of clients that may connect ?
>
> PS: I am using http channel.
>
> Thanks,
> Cooly.

Petr Pulpan

> how do I configure the max amount of clients that may connect ?
> PS: I am using http channel.

check this site :
[url]http://www.thinktecture.com/Resources/RemotingFAQ/REGISTER_HO...
NNELS.html[/url]

in your client side configuration file:
<configuration>
<system.runtime.remoting>
<application>
<channels>
<channel ref="http" clientConnectionLimit="200">
<clientProviders>
<formatter ref="binary" />
</clientProviders>
</channel>
</channels>
</application>
</system.runtime.remoting>
</configuration>or in code:IDictionary props = new Hashtable();
props["name"] = "MyHttpChannel";
props["clientConnectionLimit"] = 0;

BinaryServerFormatterSinkProvider srv = new
BinaryServerFormatterSinkProvider();
BinaryClientFormatterSinkProvider clnt = new
BinaryClientFormatterSinkProvider();
HttpChannel channel = new HttpChannel(props,clnt,srv);
ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(channel);Petr Pulpan

Ken Kolda

The clientConnectionLimit property limits the maximum number of concurrent
connections a single client will make to a server. It does not limit the
maximum number of connections the server will accept (which I believe was
what the original poster was asking).

Ken