"Server unavailable" after windows update...

Giox

10/19/2004 12:38:00 PM

Hello everybody, I have a little problem.
In the last weeks I realized a little application using .NET remoting.
The problem is that the application works well if the server is hosted
in Windows server 2003 and was working well also in my personal pc
until yesterday when I installed all the patch proposed for WinXP
professional (except the service pack 2, I have the sp1).
Now when I try to start my application on my PC (the server and the
client are running on the localhost and the server is hosted in IIS) I
throw an exception "An unhandled exception has occurred in your
application..... Server Unavailable. The web application you are
attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.
Please hit the refresh button etc...".
I found something about this topic but it seems to be relative only to
the framework 1.0, but I'm running framework 1.1.
I also found an article in which they say that the same problem may
occur if you have both the framework installed but I have only the 1.1
Also the article Article ID : 821157 doesn't apply to my computer
configuration..... I don't know what I have to do.... any idea?

--
My Email is correct

Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net
4 Answers

Giox

Hello may be I found the correct solution but I'm not able to use it.
Reading the eventlog I saw that the error that's generated
is "aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure
is 80004005...Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly
installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access
to the configured account." and "aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched
because the username and/or password supplied in the processModel
section of the config file are invalid.".
Seraching on the net I found Article ID : 315158, in which there are the
step to correctly configure the user.
So I have to modifiy the machine.config, but the processModel doesn't
contain the fields "userName="DomainName\ASPUSER"
password="ASPUSERpassword"
Where do I need to add them? please helps

--
My Email is correct

Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

Ken Kolda

The default machine.config should include the item

<processModel ... userName="machine" password="AutoGenerate" ... />

If those attributes aren't in the <processModel> tag, than that's your
problem -- you need to add them as above.

Ken

"Giox" <gioparodi-forng@yahoo.it> wrote in message
> Hello may be I found the correct solution but I'm not able to use it.
> Reading the eventlog I saw that the error that's generated
> is "aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure
> is 80004005...Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly
> installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access
> to the configured account." and "aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched
> because the username and/or password supplied in the processModel
> section of the config file are invalid.".
> Seraching on the net I found Article ID : 315158, in which there are the
> step to correctly configure the user.
> So I have to modifiy the machine.config, but the processModel doesn't
> contain the fields "userName="DomainName\ASPUSER"
> password="ASPUSERpassword"
> Where do I need to add them? please helps
>

> --
> My Email is correct
>
> Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

Sam Santiago

If you look in the machine.config file in the directory
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG you'll see this entry
with comments above it. You see it has 2 attributes userName and password
that you can modify:

<processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite"
shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000"
restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60" webGarden="false"
cpuMask="0xffffffff"

userName="machine" password="AutoGenerate"

logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05"
comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate"
responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="20"
maxIoThreads="20"/>

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Giox" <gioparodi-forng@yahoo.it> wrote in message
> Hello may be I found the correct solution but I'm not able to use it.
> Reading the eventlog I saw that the error that's generated
> is "aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure
> is 80004005...Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly
> installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access
> to the configured account." and "aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched
> because the username and/or password supplied in the processModel
> section of the config file are invalid.".
> Seraching on the net I found Article ID : 315158, in which there are the
> step to correctly configure the user.
> So I have to modifiy the machine.config, but the processModel doesn't
> contain the fields "userName="DomainName\ASPUSER"
> password="ASPUSERpassword"
> Where do I need to add them? please helps
>

> --
> My Email is correct
>
> Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

Giox

Thanks to both Sam and Ken, now the project works, I had to change the
userName="machine" to userName="SYSTEM". I know this is not good for
security but I did that on a development pc, not on the server.
Again, thanks a lot
Giovanni