Need help with RCW and COM objects.

Magnus Å

10/18/2004 3:31:00 PM

I have an application that start plugin client by loading them runtime with
assembly.LoadFile. This works very well in itself, but one plugin runs into
some problems the second time I start it. The exception is:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.InvalidComObjectException
with a subtext about RCW being separated from the underlying COM object.

and the reason I get it is because the form in the plugin has some COM
objects in it, and for some reason the RCW gets it wrong the second time I
try to load the plugin.

Anyone have any idea how to solve this? How do I get the new RCWs that are
created the second time I load the plugin to use the correct COM objects?

2 Answers

Ken Kolda

Since this isn't remoting-related, you may have better luck on the
microsoft.public.dotnet.interop newsgroup.

Ken

"Magnus" <Magnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an application that start plugin client by loading them runtime
with
> assembly.LoadFile. This works very well in itself, but one plugin runs
into
> some problems the second time I start it. The exception is:
>
> System.Runtime.InteropServices.InvalidComObjectException
> with a subtext about RCW being separated from the underlying COM
object.

> and the reason I get it is because the form in the plugin has some COM
> objects in it, and for some reason the RCW gets it wrong the second time I
> try to load the plugin.
>
> Anyone have any idea how to solve this? How do I get the new RCWs that are
> created the second time I load the plugin to use the correct COM objects?

Magnus Å

Oops, sorry. Will try there as well, but don't let that stop you from helping
me if you can :)