M.Sameer

10/18/2004 7:44:00 AM

Hi all,
I understood that COM+ is in fact a special case of the .Net Remoting
technology where the server is the COM surrogate dllhost.exe and the
remotable object is the ServicedComponent.. is this right?
If so, I want to know what port does dllhost uses to operate.

Thanks in advance,
M.Sameer

4 Answers

Robert Jordan

M.Sameer wrote:

> Hi all,
> I understood that COM+ is in fact a special case of the .Net Remoting
> technology where the server is the COM surrogate dllhost.exe and the
> remotable object is the ServicedComponent.. is this right?
> If so, I want to know what port does dllhost uses to operate.

No ports are involved. Dllhost is the process that embeds and
load the ServicedComponent as a inproc server.

bye
Rob

M.Sameer

There must be port for Client-Server communication like the channel in
Remoting... right?

M.Sameer

Robert Jordan

M.Sameer wrote:

> There must be port for Client-Server communication like the channel in
> Remoting... right?

No. Dllhost hosts the CLR and loads the ServicedComponent in proc.
When the component is remotely accessed, the transport protocol
is RPC over TCP/IP (like in DCOM).

bye
Rob

Sam Santiago

There are ports used for communication at a lower level by DCOM. You
shouldn't have to configure them unless you are behind a firewall or want to
restrict the port range the DCOM uses for some reason:

Using DCOM with Firewalls
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndcom/html/msdn_dcomfi...

Thanks,

Sam