Lloyd Dupont

10/18/2004 5:39:00 AM

I will write a service which would be externally controlled by remoting.
But!...
I don't want anyone to be able to control the service, I want only, let say,
sys admin.
How could check the that the remote user credential is sys admin?

2 Answers

Richard Blewett

Remoting doesn't have a built in solution for this under 1.1 (it will under 2.0). However, you can use the unsupported samples on (IIRC) gotdotnet - there is an SSPI implementation that you can plug into the remoting stack that will allow the user's crededntials to be passed to the remoting endpoint.

Regards

Richard Blewett - DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/richa...

I will write a service which would be externally controlled by remoting.
But!...
I don't want anyone to be able to control the service, I want only, let say,
sys admin.
How could check the that the remote user credential is sys admin?

Robert Jordan

Lloyd Dupont wrote:

> I will write a service which would be externally controlled by remoting.
> But!...
> I don't want anyone to be able to control the service, I want only, let say,
> sys admin.
> How could check the that the remote user credential is sys admin?

When (role based) security is your *main* concern, then a
ServicedComponent (COM+) may be more suitable for you.
Such components can be exposed using IIS+SOAP, so you can
access them from the clients using .NET remoting w/out
messing with COM+ on the client.

bye
Rob