pranavr

10/13/2004 12:56:00 PM

Hi All,
I have a .NET serviced component as an Application Server between the
web server(asp.net) and the database.
There is a COM component registered on the web server for legacy
operations and as a part of that it makes DCOM calls to the
Application Server.
I have a requirement where my aspx.cs needs to call the Application
Server and I was wondering if I should use Remoting to achieve this or
simply forward the call to my registered component (which would use
DCOM). My requirement would fall into the category of SAO, SingleCall.
Are there any perf nos. comparing DCOM & .Net Remoting.

Thanks,
Pranav
4 Answers

Sam Santiago

Is your Application Server component physically deployed on another machine
or on the web server? Remember there's a big difference between logical
layering and physical deployment. I would recommend physically deploying it
on the web server (avoid remote calls if possible for performance) and
simply importing the namespace in your aspx.cs file and instantiating an
instance as needed like you would do with a typical serviced component.

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Pranav" <pranavr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I have a .NET serviced component as an Application Server between the
> web server(asp.net) and the database.
> There is a COM component registered on the web server for legacy
> operations and as a part of that it makes DCOM calls to the
> Application Server.
> I have a requirement where my aspx.cs needs to call the Application
> Server and I was wondering if I should use Remoting to achieve this or
> simply forward the call to my registered component (which would use
> DCOM). My requirement would fall into the category of SAO, SingleCall.
> Are there any perf nos. comparing DCOM & .Net Remoting.
>
> Thanks,
> Pranav

pranavr

Thanks for your input Sam,
I agree that for optimal performance I would have the component
deployed on the same machine as the web server, I would mark it as
library application so that there is no process switch either.
However, from MS security doc the recommendation is to cascade and
keep the AS and web server different. Our solution has to comply to
such deployments too where I have to invoke a remote component.
Given that we already have code sitting that makes call to the
Application Server using DCOM does it make sense to use remoting to
make the newly written code talk directly to AS. Some of the things
that may be of concern is that if there is a firewall then the port
mapping rules have to be done for both DCOM and remoting. I need good
performance so I don't intend to use http for communication between
the web server and the AS.

Pranav

"Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in message news:<OM257lUsEHA.636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Is your Application Server component physically deployed on another machine
> or on the web server? Remember there's a big difference between logical
> layering and physical deployment. I would recommend physically deploying it
> on the web server (avoid remote calls if possible for performance) and
> simply importing the namespace in your aspx.cs file and instantiating an
> instance as needed like you would do with a typical serviced component.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>
> --
> _______________________________
> Sam Santiago
> ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
> http://www.SoftiTe...
> _______________________________
> "Pranav" <pranavr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> > I have a .NET serviced component as an Application Server between the
> > web server(asp.net) and the database.
> > There is a COM component registered on the web server for legacy
> > operations and as a part of that it makes DCOM calls to the
> > Application Server.
> > I have a requirement where my aspx.cs needs to call the Application
> > Server and I was wondering if I should use Remoting to achieve this or
> > simply forward the call to my registered component (which would use
> > DCOM). My requirement would fall into the category of SAO, SingleCall.
> > Are there any perf nos. comparing DCOM & .Net Remoting.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Pranav

Sam Santiago

With the restrictions you have mentioned, for simplicity and consistency I
would stick with DCOM.

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
> Thanks for your input Sam,
> I agree that for optimal performance I would have the component
> deployed on the same machine as the web server, I would mark it as
> library application so that there is no process switch either.
> However, from MS security doc the recommendation is to cascade and
> keep the AS and web server different. Our solution has to comply to
> such deployments too where I have to invoke a remote component.
> Given that we already have code sitting that makes call to the
> Application Server using DCOM does it make sense to use remoting to
> make the newly written code talk directly to AS. Some of the things
> that may be of concern is that if there is a firewall then the port
> mapping rules have to be done for both DCOM and remoting. I need good
> performance so I don't intend to use http for communication between
> the web server and the AS.
>
> Pranav
>
> "Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in message
> > Is your Application Server component physically deployed on another
machine
> > or on the web server? Remember there's a big difference between logical
> > layering and physical deployment. I would recommend physically deploying
it
> > on the web server (avoid remote calls if possible for performance) and
> > simply importing the namespace in your aspx.cs file and instantiating an
> > instance as needed like you would do with a typical serviced component.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sam
> >
> > --
> > _______________________________
> > Sam Santiago
> > ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
> > http://www.SoftiTe...
> > _______________________________
> > "Pranav" <pranavr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi All,
> > > I have a .NET serviced component as an Application Server between the
> > > web server(asp.net) and the database.
> > > There is a COM component registered on the web server for legacy
> > > operations and as a part of that it makes DCOM calls to the
> > > Application Server.
> > > I have a requirement where my aspx.cs needs to call the Application
> > > Server and I was wondering if I should use Remoting to achieve this or
> > > simply forward the call to my registered component (which would use
> > > DCOM). My requirement would fall into the category of SAO, SingleCall.
> > > Are there any perf nos. comparing DCOM & .Net Remoting.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Pranav

pranavr

Thanks,
I'll implement the DCOM solution and investigate further on the remoting front.
Pranav